missing CD driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by petooniebug, Feb 10, 2012.

1. petooniebug

petooniebug Private E-2

hi 70yr old grandma with very limited computer skills. I inserted CD disc to do a backup but the cd icon never came up on the screen. Instead a message "the driver for USB Cable Modem is not installed". I've been using this to download information on my CD for months, what happened??

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack is the PC?

What is the CD backup application are you using, make,name and version?

As to what happened its possible that the software is for s specific Windows version and or hardware and that's why you gained the error message but if you supply us with info on your grandma's PC we should be able to help as to a backup app that will work.

3. petooniebug

petooniebug Private E-2

Remember, I told you I don't know too much. I do know this is Windows 7 system already installed on this Dell Inspiron 560 computer. I just insert a Memorex CD-RW disc in when the McAfee message says its time to backup.
    The icon was for Roxio. Does this help??

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes that info is great and thanks for it as it allows us to know more about your PC and its hardware and the software in now we know you use Roxio for CD burning and McAfee for Security.

The cable Modem drivers are usually for a USB Modem as some telcos give out for mobile internet, but and a question is have you installed or added a USB modem at all?

Check in Device Manager for any yellow ! marks to any device and tell us what they are, to do this click Start > and in the Start Search box type Device Manager and hit enter as it should list in the left hand menu list, then look for any device with a yellow ! mark.

Next if you have not already, reboot and try again,

Next start the Roxio/McAfee program first then enter the CD into the drive and see if you get the same message.

5. petooniebug

petooniebug Private E-2

my granddtr tried your suggestion; re-booted and the problem seems to be fixed. Thank you soooo much for your help.:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds