Missing Cdfs.sys - CD/DVD Rom drive missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by grammashousecc, Dec 13, 2010.

1. grammashousecc

grammashousecc Private E-2

I have a refurbished HP Pavilion dv6700 (dv6809wm) dated 2008 with Windows Vista Home Premium. It had every form of DVD burning software installed (not by me) - Nero (not supported by Vista), Alcohol 120, MagicIso/Disc, and one other that I don't remember. Most were expired trial versions. I unstalled them all. Now . . .

My optical drive is nowhere to be found. Not in Device Manager, My Computer, Computer Management/Services (they were here earlier), nada.

I have read the forums and have tried all the CD/DVD fixes. There are no upper/lower filters. I have tried Matt's fixit, DougKnox fixit, the registry merge fixit from this site. Nothing has worked. I rolled the thing back to factory specs using System Restore. (No disc, backup partition drive). I have reinstalled all the updates including SP2. The cdfs.sys file is nowhere on the computer and I cannot determine how to get another.

The drive appears to work, I hear it start everytime I boot the computer, put a disc in it, etc. nothing but startup noise.

Can anyone help me? Thank you much :confused

2. pistol

pistol Private First Class

1.Downloaded cdfs.sys to your system32 folder within the Windows folder. [c:WINDOWSsystem32]
    2.Click on the Start button, then click the Run... option
    3.In the "Open" line, type the following (without quotes) "regsvr32 cdfs.sys", then click the "OK" button.
    4.If the installation was successful, you should see a message saying that your file was successfully installed/uninstalled.

http://www.clacn.com/phome?phome=Do...0&pass=9089e6e2d4cb48932d130bea362a8302&p=:::

3. pistol

4. grammashousecc

Thank you, I downloaded the cdfs.sys, executed the run and received the following error message:

the module "cdsf.sys" was loaded but the entry-point dllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure "cdfs.sys" is a valid dll or ocx file and try again.

Any suggestions on what I should try? Thank you.

I had already attemped your second suggestion, but the file would not unzip. Error stated it was an invalid file format. I use WinZip.

Thank you again for your assistance. Debora

5. pistol

sorry it didn't work that time for you Deb,did you make sure that you opened and ran the file within the c:WINDOWSsystem32 folder?that's the most important step,but for now follow these directions here,there is a possibility that this will do the repair http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
    let us know if this helped,if not we will try something else...
    by the way ,sorry about that second option,the zip was empty,did the same to me when i tried to extract

6. grammashousecc

I really appreciate your help. The last item did not find integrity problems.

My daughter is bringing me her laptop tomorrow morning. We are going to swap disc drives and see what happens. Hope we don't screw them both up! Have a great evening and thanks again for your help. I'll let you know what we determine tomorrow.

7. grammashousecc

Nothing has worked, but I now believe this is going to be a hardware conflict problem. So I'll post on that thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds