Missing Drivers for LAN connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by DangerMouz, Apr 4, 2009.

1. DangerMouz

DangerMouz Private E-2

Okay first of all I am using a HP Pavilion 8660c. Just did a format, and now I cannot download ANY drivers because I don't have my internet driver to access updated drivers.

In my network adapters, there are;

RAS Async Adapter (apparently an old school 56k)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE, L2TP, IP and PPTP)
    Direct Parallel
    Packet Scheduler Miniport

But in my device manager, there are no network adapters displayed. Only 'misc' items with a yellow question mark:

? - Ethernet Controller
    ? - PCI Input Device
    ? - PCI Communication Controller

(and a few other, but I think these are the ones that need drivers)

I have downloaded a few driver packs supposedly with the drivers for my WAN Miniports. But I ran the .exe and all it did was extract files to my C:
    I tried putting the sys files that were extracted in my system32/drivers folder with the other sys files in hopes of it somehow working. no luck.

Is the only way to install a driver through a CD/Floppy? I only have access to a flash drive at the moment to transfer files. My CD-RW's won't erase. When I try to use a floppy on my formatted computer, it just says the floppy needs to be formatted. And when I try to do that, it says it cannot be formatted.

Any Ideas? I've been running around on the web for a few days now, night and day... I am so lost.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

3. DangerMouz

DangerMouz Private E-2

It's windows XP, but I was told that windows 2000 uses the same kernal so it will still work.

And yes, that was the first file I downloaded... I ran the exe but it just extracted a bunch of files to my C:

I went into where it extracted them, and found no file to run that installs anything... There was 1 batch file I think - or something that looked like it could be ran, but nothing happened when I opened it.

Im going to double check again. The only other thing included with the .sys and other files were some text files that were just some technical-jargon written in a script format.

How do I get this to work?

EDIT: Startservices.exe does not run. I open it/double click it. Nothing happens. I tried running in compatability mode for 98/me/2000. nothing.

is there a certain program i need to run this?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

6. DangerMouz

DangerMouz Private E-2

How do I get the information of the driver I need. Like I said on my computer its only displayed as "ethernet controller". that is very generic.

The other network adapters i found, WAN miniport ones.. report that they already have a driver... soo.

Drivers guide couldnt find any network drivers for my comp model :(

EDIT: That second link... Thats another one of those "driver finder programs"... Even If I did install that onto my PC, it couldnt download the correct drivers because I have no internet!!!

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Attached Files:

8. DangerMouz

DangerMouz Private E-2

When I click the link to download the Generic Ethernet Driver, it just downloads teh driver pro program... That doesnt help, because that program requires an internet connection to download the correct drivers. My computer does not have an internet connection because it doesn't have the driver for it. I am posting on another computer. When I run the program from this computer, it doesnt help, because it just scans the drivers on a computer that is functionally fine. Do you see my conundrum?

I'm going to try to copy the driverpro install files, install them on my other PC and hope it doesnt need a internet connection to detect which drivers I need, like all the other programs I've tried did... Then I am going to copy the installed files back onto this PC and try to download what I scanned for. But I fear this will not work.

9. DangerMouz

DangerMouz Private E-2

Nevermind, that plan won't even work because it requires a $10.00 Membership to use.

The search continues.

10. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

pls attached report from everest

thankss

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Most of the older HP drivers do not have built-in installers or 'setup.exe' files. The downloaded files are self-extracting compressed files (like .zip files) and will extract to a location on the hard drive. Generally speaking, if you open one of the extracted folders you'll see a README file with a quick how-to about installing the driver. You have to go to the device manager and use the hardware wizard and 'point' it to the extracted folder. Use the steps I described in this thread to install your drivers.

Good luck!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds