Missing drivers in a dell inspiron 6000

Discussion in 'Software' started by 151henry151, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 151henry151

151henry151 Private E-2

I reinstalled windows xp on my inspiron 6000 and it left me missing a bunch of drivers. I got the ethernet one but can't find any of the others.

I've run 'unknown devices'
    and this is what it came up with

Multimedia audio controller
    Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01881028&REV_03
    Network controller
    Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27218086&REV_05
    PCI modem
    Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_8086&DEV_266D&SUBSYS_542314F1&REV_03
    Video controller
    Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_8086&DEV_2792&SUBSYS_01881028&REV_03
    Video controller (vga compatible)
    Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_01881028&REV_03

Currently the wireless network doesn't work, the laptop no longer supports multiple monitors and can't play back music visualizations or similar video graphics.

If anybody can help me resolve these issues i'd appreciate it.

On a side note--Does anybody know of a good program with which I can scan 10,000 songs in, organize them, automatically check for duplicates, and convert them all to a common format (mp3) from their current jumble of aac, mp3, m4a, wma, ogg, and more?

Thank you all for your help.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. 151henry151

151henry151 Private E-2

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful reply.

Upon downloading and opening the first driver, it provided me with this error message:

This self extracting zip file is part of a multidisk zip file. Please insert the last disk of the set.

Any idea what that's about?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused That's REALLY weird. I just downloaded it using the exact link I posted above. I downloaded a file called "R114079.EXE" to my desktop. I doubled clicked it, and got a window saying "The following folder was not found *foldername*. Do want to create it now?" I said "Yes" and it extracted just fine, then the Setup.EXE launched just like it should. Perhaps you have some other issues? You can extract the files without double-clicking on 'em. Once they're extracted, you can then run the setup.exe files or install the drivers via the Device Manager. To extract the files, you need to install a file extractor capable of extracting EXE files. I like TUGzip. It's free, and integrates into the right-click menu. TUGzip can extract RAR files, ZIP files, 7zip files, many EXE files, and just about any archive or self-extracting archive you're likely to encounter. When installing TUGzip just click 'Next' all the way through. At the end of the install, there will be a little check-box for "Launch TUGzip"; go ahead and launch it; click "Next" all the through again until you see a "Finish" button; there will be a column on the left side with a bunch of different archive formats; click the "Select All" button; click "Finish". A window will open that looks like an Explorer-type window, close it. Right click the file you downloaded (the file you want to extract) and click the 2nd upward pointing green arrow, it will say something like "Extract to: .\filename" and the file will extract to a folder of the same name. You can then use the info in this thread to install the drivers thru the Device Manager w/o running the setup.exe files.... good luck!

[dlb]

5. 151henry151

151henry151 Private E-2

I downloaded tugzip but it appears to be incapable of extracting the file. When I right click on the file, I see all the 'downward pointing arrow' options, but none pointing upward. It doesn't seem to recognize the file as an archive.

Please help!

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Something strange is going on with your PC. I just downloaded several of the drivers I linked to and extracted ALL of 'em using TUGzip without any problems. When you installed TUGzip, did you use the "Select All" button to enable the recognition of all archives? When you right click, do you have an option of a red circle with a "tz" in it that says "Open with TUGzip"? If so, use that option, but create an empty folder first to extract the file to or else it will extract a bunch of files all over the desktop...

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Another thing I was thinking.... do you have any other file 'zipping' type programs installed, like WinZIP for example? If so, uninstall 'em, then uninstall TUGzip, reboot, and reinstall TUGzip.

8. 151henry151

151henry151 Private E-2

I apologize for taking so long to respond.
    Thank you, dlb, for your assistance. Your suspicion proved to be accurate--I had another unzipping program installed (winrar) and it was interfering with TugZip.
    I followed your advice and proceeded to install the drivers, which was effective and solved my computers problems.

The only remaining issue is this: the laptop was previously equipped to handle multiple monitors, and appears to no longer have that functionality. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds