Missing Drivers Upon Xp Reformat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doranmauldin, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Doranmauldin

Doranmauldin Private E-2

I reformatted an old old old Emachine desktop last night for a friend of mine. He was using his Ipad at home for all things involving the internet and I assured him I could fix his old PC (just wanted a project).

It is a T3406 Emachine. (Yes I know, the specs are great, haha)

I wiped and reinstalled from inside the operating system using Winnt32.exe and upon being welcomed to a fresh (surprisingly slightly fast-moving) system, I was greeted with missing and broken drivers. I tried plugging in the Ethernet cable which was working right before reformatting and the rig just wouldn't recognize it.

I used a different computer and downloaded the Intel Chipset v.6.0.1.1002 Ethernet driver that is supposed to be for this machine and then transferred it to the Emachine via flash drive.

I installed, restarted, and it still isn't working. How can I get this thing to connect to the internet?!?!

Please, help, lol, I'm at war with this thing now.

Thanks,
    Doran

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. Puppywunder58

I should have added, download the chipset driver first, install, restart.

Download the other drivers as well, install and restart after each one.

Then you'll need to find the Service Packs for XP.

4. Puppywunder58

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

After SP 1 is installed, you'll need SP 3 in order to get any Security Updates. Support for SP 1 and SP 2 ended long ago. XP support itself ended on April 8 but, you can still get all of the updates that were available until then and even now you can still get definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials and the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

6. Doranmauldin

Doranmauldin Private E-2

Okay, I've got Sp1 on my flash drive.
    I downloaded the chipset, installed, and restarted.
    I opened the service pack and as it got to the end of its extraction task I received this error.

Service Pack 1 Setup Error: Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of the system installed is newer than the update you are applying to it.

You can only install this update on Service Pack 1.

So, I already have service pack 1? Is that what it's telling me?

Anywho, I've had to use other computers to acquire the files needed on a flash drive because this machine still isn't recognizing my Ethernet so I have no internet on it.

I can get the rest of the drivers if I can just figure out how to get this machine to recognize my Ethernet and get internet!

I hope someone reads this reply post on a thread that's probably already been deemed dead. Any suggestions and help is very appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doran

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

More than likely, you've already got SP 2 if you're getting that error message from the SP 1 installer. Get the SP 3 download I linked you to (it's 316.4 MB).

The drivers Puppywunder58 linked you to and gave brief instructions. The one for ethernet is the LAN driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds