Missing Export DLL Errors on Clean Win98 Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by FieroGT42, Mar 15, 2006.

1. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

I'm trying to install Windows 98 SE on an older computer with a transplanted HDD. Here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-5SMM MicroATX MoBo (branded with Compaq BIOS)
    AMD K6-II 533MHz CPU on 97MHz FSB
    256 + 128 MB SDRAM
    120GB Seagate HDD, 2 FAT32 partitions (one is logical in extended partition, just a placeholder for Linux yet to come)
    Onboard Sound (PCI ESS Allegro/Solo1) and Gfx (Integrated 2xAGP Trident Blade3D, 8MB shared)
    PCI C-Media 5.1 surround sound card
    PCI 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100 TX NIC (3C905-TX)
    PCI Some crappy PC-Tel HSP win-modem

I get the error "SHLWAPI.DLL is linked to missing export *.DLL" where *.DLL can be gdi32.dll, advapi32.dll, or even kernel32.dll. Once in a while I can get windows installed and booted the first time before I get these errors, usually it's during initial device detection (after the precopy, during the final stages of setup where it boots from the hard drive but still shows the same setup screen).

I've tried unplugging the PCI cards (winmodem, sound, NIC) and disabling extras to no avail. I've checked the entire HDD, 0 errors or bad sectors, tried reformatting etc. RAM passes 100% of MemTest86+ tests. I can boot a Knoppix Live CD usually with no problems, but occasionally it hangs when X starts loading the desktop (after device detection has finished with no errors). Of course, this computer doesn't like most Linux live CDs anyway. I can install Linux to the HDD and run it with no problems. I previously had the PC overclocked to 550MHz by jumpering the FSB from 97 to 100MHz (no problems), but I went back for troubleshooting.

Some threads on various message boards say my problem could be bad RAM, too many devices to assign to IRQ's, bad installation disc, or mis-matched DLL versions. I think I've eliminated all of these possibilities. What's left to try? Thank you!

P.S. - I do programming and PC service for a living, so please don't give me a condescending "RTFM" or "Learn to use the search function" ;)

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You might try the steps below since you are getting these errors on installation.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

Steve

3. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi FieroGT42
    It sounds as if the 160GB hard drive is too large for the Win98 setup program. If you've got a WinXP(service pack 2) installation nearby, then hook up the 160GB to that (observing correct jumper config). Then delete all partitions and re-create one new primary partition of 13GB. You must 'mark' this partition active. Format this partition as Fat32. You can now do an install on the old machine(resetting any drive jumpers).
    Once Windows is installed and all the updates are on, then you can add a new Windows partition up to 32GB or so. When you install Linux, allow only 2 partitions - root ie: "/" and <swap>. This will keep the 4 partition MBR kosher for Windows and there'll be smiley faces everywhere. Other concepts, including hardrive management software to manage large disks may not fare so well with your Linux aspirations. I hope this has been of some help. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds