Missing Files on XP machine!

Discussion in 'Software' started by AMH, Jan 13, 2008.

1. AMH

AMH Private E-2

I was working on an XP system and was moving files from the documents folder to a thumb drive. I was dragging and dropping them. Suddenly an error message popped up that read something like this:

“Can not move these files, they are currently in use.”

I though that this was odd, because I didn’t have anything open or running. When I clicked “OK” on the error message all the files where gone. They were not in the documents folder, or the thumb drive, or the recycling bin. Just gone!

I tried a system restore, but when I successfully got to an earlier point the documents folder was still empty.

Does any one know how I can retrieve these files?

Thanks!!

2. billm70

billm70 Private E-2

You can try this. Click on "start", "My Computer", right click on your local disk drive, probably C:\ . Click "Properties" ,when the properties box come up, click on the "tools" tab, in the "error checking" column, click on "check now", when the "Check Disk" box opens, put a check mark in both boxes, then click "Start" and go have a lunch break, because it will take a while to check your disk. When it's done, it will reboot itself. Hope this works.

3. Rogusto

Rogusto Private E-2

Hey,

That's odd. While I can't offer a reason why it happened, <snip>a link to Restoration. It's a program that scans your computer for deleted files and attempts to restore those files which you wish to undelete. Hope it helps :)

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. Rogusto

Rogusto Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds