missing hal.dll - no other fixes work - PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by vigilantmachine, May 25, 2006.

1. vigilantmachine

vigilantmachine Private E-2

I've got a Dell Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP Home edition.
    Its been giving me some really peculiar blue screens of death lately and now I cannot get into windows at all. It brings up the same error about <system root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt, and to replace the file.

Ok, where should I begin. I know the file is missing because I managed to get into the computer using Knoppix and saw that it was missing, but knoppix won't allow you to create new files on the hard drive so i can't fix it from there.

I ran the windows recovery CD, when I get into the recovery console I get the prompt C:\WINDOWS\
    I tried doing the expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\window\system32\hal.dll fix, but it said the path was inaccesible. I can navigate to the cd-drive just fine by typing d:, but I cannot change directories in C:\WINDOWS\, and I can't do a DIR in C:\WINDOWS\ either. It keeps saying that the file is unavailable or something along those lines.

I tried typing bootcfg /list and it comes up with a list of boot files, but when I type bootcfg /restore it tells me there's an error and that i must run checkdsk. So when I run checkdsk, it says the system has problems that checkdsk cannot repair.

I'm desperate for help. If anyone has any suggestions that might work, please let me know. Reformatting the entire harddrive is not really an option.

Thanks!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Something to try>

Get back to the recovery console. Once there type FIXBOOT.

See how that goes.

3. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds