Missing Hardware for Sound on Computer!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runfromabear, Dec 27, 2008.

1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

Don't know uch about computers but I am having problems with the sound on mine so I was hoping somone could help. It is a Compaq Presario, running Windows XP Home Edition. The old speakers weren't working so I bought new ones (Cyber Acoustic brand)and it still isn't working. I think I am missing some hardware or something for the computer that it needs. If anyone can help me that would be great. Also, if you need additional information about the computer to be able to help me out lmk and I can provide you with it. Thanks to everyone. -runfromabear

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Hi Runfromabear!! Yeah, I'd like to have a little more info on your machine, like the model #. Your obviously running onboard sound and I need to find out which chip you're running. My guess is 'Realtek,' but I'd like to make sure. In the meantime, let's do this; right click on my computer, >properties>hardware>device manager>sound,video, etc. Do you see any yellow '?' or '!' there? If so, where? Let me know and we can take it from there, okay?

3. runfromabear

The model is the Compaq Presario 4420ca. I am not totally sure not totally sure but I think my Sound is SOUNDMAX Integrated Digital Audio. I did not see anything you asked me to look for and every area says the devive is working correctly. When I right click on my audio on my desktop and click on "open volume control" I get this message. "There are no active mixers available. To install mixer devices, go to Control panel, click on printers and other hardware, and then click on add hardware." This is why I thought I might be missing a piece of the needed Hardware.

I hope my reply was somewhat helpful for you. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me. -runfromabear

4. runfromabear

Posted this problem I was having with my sound on my computer. I have these speakers set up and I am getting the local rsdio station through them and no sound coming out of my computer. Checked around and there is nothing I can find that would be causing any interference with them. Any Help? Thanks. -runfromabear

5. a_cup

a_cup Private E-2

Hi runfromabear,

A solution that has worked for some.....

Go to Start>> Run>> type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right click>>Properties.

Check that 'Startup type' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

If it is already set to start...Stop the service then restart

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds