missing system files: odd error messages

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tal, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Tal

Tal Private E-2

I need help. I am visiting a friend and am trying to sort out his computer.

Every time Windows XP boots up, 2 odd messages appear.

The first one reads:

WINDOWS\system32\ofiekttd.dll

The specified module could not be found.

After clicking OK you get another which reads:

WINDOWS\system32\pfpqqqd.dll

The specified module could not be found.

Again you click OK and then it goes away and everything seems to be normal. Anyway how can I get rid of this shit? I have just tried reinstalling Windows (doing an 'upgrade', not a fresh install with reformat because my friend has a vunch of apps etc that I don't want the hassle of having to reinstall.) Help me people! :confused

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It is malware. You can post in the malware forum by doing the Read and Run Me First.

I'm fairly sure it is just adware and not dangerous. A quick fix would be go to C:\Windows\System32 and rename or delete ofiekttd.dll and pfpqqqd.dll.

Get Spybot Search and Destroy and run a scan and let it quarantine anything left over.

Get CCcleaner and On the Tools > Startup menu delete the two entries for these files.

I did this a few months ago (because I'm too lazy to do the full Malware removal guides) and haven't had a problem since. If you are getting the not found message, his antivirus or another program might have already removed the files in System32 but they are still trying to be run at startup. So CCleaner would do just that part.

3. Tal

Tal Private E-2

OK thanks! Actually the two files named above are not now present in the system 32 folder, but next thing I'll try will be CC Cleaner followed by Spybot.

Cheers! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds