Mixing Sata and Pata drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shanemcgee, Jan 31, 2010.

1. shanemcgee

shanemcgee Private E-2

I am mixing SATA and PATA on the same system. I plan to run the SATA as the primary dirve with OS (Windows 7) and use the PATA for data back up.

My question is this: How do I configure the PATA drive, as Master, as it is the master on the IDE bus, or as Slave, as it is the slave in the overall system???

Does anyone have experience such as this?

Steve, (shanemcgee's lesser half)

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Set the PATA 'IDE' drive as master with the jumper on the drive and just plug the SATA drive in,in bios set the SATA drive as the first boot device or if your motherboard has a boot menu select the SATA drive as the first boot device there,the master slave configuration doesn't effect SATA drives at all.

That's all you need to do:)

3. shanemcgee

shanemcgee Private E-2

Thanks so much, Ricky. You definitely answered my answer. And, I really know it is the 'right answer' because it agrees with my decision.

Thanks for your time and quick response.

Steve (husband of Shane)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds