Mobile Broadband problem after Connectify Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dalym7, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

Hi Everyone,

Hope all at MG are keeping well.

So, i downloaded Connnectify on my x64, Windows 7 Ultimate laptop. Thinking that i might be able to share my mobile broadband connections with my new Android phone (i found out later, that this isn't possible anyway).

I uninstalled Connectify when i realised it wouldn't do what i wanted and now my mobile broadband won't work. It's one of those huawei dongles that Vodafone provide.

I have had a variety of different error codes (not randomly, they changed when i have hunted down solutions to various problems), but still its not budging. Very frustrating as you can imagine.

I can't roll back the system to before i installed Connectify as the first time available is after i installed it (lesson learned, should have created a restore point).

Does anyway know how i might go about rectifying this? Will i have to reinstall windows do you think? if so, can anyone recommend a good program which will back up all my drivers and files before i wipe the whole thing (i did a clean install of Windows 7 last year, it was running Vista). It seem way overboard to have to all this just because i installed Connectify! So any help appreciated. Hopefully the detail is not too scant - i'm on my work computer so don't have the dongle and my lap top in front of me.

Many thanks,

Martin

PS: I created a new profile in Windows to see if that would work - but it didn't.

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

3. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

Hi Rusty, many thanks for your reply. yes, I uninstalled it correctly (as well as reinstalling the mobile broadband itself). I've tried numerous things at this stage. I see that many people have asked about this problem on that terrible askmenow site - the problem with that site is that there is only questions, no solutions! I'm not sure where to turn now - all suggestions gratefully recieved ! it's very frustrating as you can imagine.....

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Check in Device Manager that there are no devices called Conectify at all and if there are then uninstall them (Right click > uninstall)

Also check in Control Panel there are no softwares that could be Conectify or part of, if so uninstall them also.

What I think maybe happening is that this software has added a proxy type service, and what you will need to do is to Open Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings > right click your Wifi dongles icon and choose Properties

Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP V4) and then Properties box and what are the settings in the General Tab, for IP and DNS?

Also just incase this is not hardware but the browser settings being changed, try a different browser than the one you are using now and see if that works for internet. Also does Windows or applications like Anti-virus update ok?

5. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

Hi David, thanks for the reply - ip and dns are both set to automatic. I should also clarify that the Mobile dongle does not connect at all. i can See that it has a flashing blue light (which means that it detects a 3G network, although not connected to it) and when I click connect it goes through the motions of connecting (progress bar) but will fail at the end.p connectify must have altered some setting.... I've trawled the internet and tried various solutions but nothing! sorry if this post is not very readable, using touchscreen phone for first time)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds