Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Error 39/VGASave Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by aluntay, Aug 22, 2012.

1. aluntay

aluntay Private E-2

Hi all, need some help please before I revert to using Acers eRecovery option.

I have a Acer Aspire 5738Z with the below spec:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2999 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 0 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 295242 MB, Free - 5092 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, JV50
    Antivirus: Prevx 3.0, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I am not 100% but I think(?) that http://www.prevx.com/ may have found some false positives and deleted them (I have used Prevx for years and have always trusted it hence the willingness to jsut delete anything it found. I have already tried to undo the cleanup etc but to no avail.

The problem I have is that under Device Manager the Display Adapter is showing a yellow exclamation mark against the two entries for "Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family". With an error 39 (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing). When I try to change the display settings (as the resolution has changed for the worst) I cannot change the resolution. Display Settings> Advanced Settings>Adapter Type>Properties shows VGASAVE. (Images attached)

I suspect PrevX may have removed a file needed by the drivers (binary, I/O?) as I have downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (using ther utility) and tried the safe mode route of unistalling and reinstalling the drivers etc bt nothing works.

Other things I have tried are:

sfc scannow (details attached - cant see anything in there that is causing a problem?)

chkdsk /f & /r

Tried looking for and deleting upper and lower filters against display in regedit but no value found.

My last resort is to use Acers eRecovery system but was wondering if I could avoid that as I think that even though it doesn't delete user files it does delete programs and throws all personnal data in a backup folder on C:

Any suggestions please?

Attached Files:

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

3. aluntay

aluntay Private E-2

Attached Files:

4. the mekanic

Pick up the last VGA driver on the page, which I specified in my earlier post. You can't miss it, it's the last one under VGA.

The fact you are running a Xeon dual core is pretty cool.

Download and run the correspondent updated driver. Let us know how you fare.

:major

5. aluntay

aluntay Private E-2

Hi, I have downloaded and ran setup for the VGA driver noted below.

However, I get an error message saying "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit."

I note that you mentioned I was running a Xeon dual core below? I know little about these things but I always thought it was a T4200? Is that the same thing?

The spec from Acers website is:

Intel® Pentium® mobile processor T4200 (1 MB L2 cache, 2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 35 W), or T3200/T3400 (1 MB L2 cache, 2/2.16 GHz GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture
    Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset
    Acer InviLink™ Nplify™3, 4, 802.11b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology
    Acer InviLink™4 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology

I also note that in the "Installatin Read Me.txt" for the driver you sugested it says that system requirements are for a GL40 Express Chipset which according to the details from Acers website (above) it has. So why the error message noted above?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

7. aluntay

aluntay Private E-2

Hi, have just used that utility and it did find an updated driver however I still have the yellow icons and all the original problems as in my first post. There are 4 screenshots attached for you to see what I mean

As before I get the feeling (and its just a guess) that the actual driver is fine it is perhaps some of the files that load the driver or get it to work somehow that are either missing or corrupt etc. Any ideas please?

p.s just another guess here but on the 4th picture attached it says default monitor and then has vgasave associated with it (should my Acer be refering to its montor as default or should it have a dedicated name/model? Clutching at straws here I know!)

Attached Files:

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

From your screenshot #2 it appears that Windows did not let you install that driver.

What I would do if I encountered your situation; either
    - uninstall the current driver, then run that installer again;
    - use DriverMax to update that specific driver (use the free version that lets you download two drivers per day).

9. aluntay

aluntay Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions:

interestingly DriverMax found a more recent driver but failed to install it.

Screnshot attached again. Does that tell you anything about what may be missing or corrupt?

Attached Files:

10. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Did you uninstall the current driver (both instances)?

If DriverMax cannot install the driver, that means something (Windows?) is preventing it.

11. aluntay

aluntay Private E-2

Hi, yes I Installed the current driver (both)

And yes, that is my assumption, that something (mostt probably windows) is preventing it.

I ran sfc /scannow and got the following message (the end of the log file attached only as full file = 7.4MB):

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"

Any idea where to go from here?

Attached Files:

12. the mekanic

Try this program. It's called HDSentinel and can give us an idea what kind of shape your hard drive is in. The issue could be bad sectors, or simply the drive has aged to the point it could use a "boot and nuke".

http://majorgeeks.com/Hard_Disk_Sentinel_d7520.html

If the hard drive checks out, try a memory diagnostic. Bad bits can write erroneous data to the hard drive.

http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

The MemTest needs to be burned to a CD, and ImgBurn is great freeware to get the job done:

http://majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds