mobile pentium 4 in a desktop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thesmokingun, Dec 22, 2007.

1. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

2. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

I've heard of this being done before. Just need a motherboard with a matching socket type (478 is common and can still be had). Only other thing I beleive you would need to check would be the voltage for the cpu. As long as the motherboard supports that, you should be fine.....

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yeah no reason why not, but you may need to do some metalwork on the heatsink arrangements.

Check also the memory. 2.4Ghz processors are 400 or 533 bus. 3Ghz+ processors may be 800 or more.

Finally I doubt that you will see a measurable performance increase to justify the change.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

cool, i guess i will find out. im not too worried about it either way, just cant justify throwing away the laptop (lcd is cracked). I have the motherboard laying around, and it's socket 478 as well, it also supports 800 fsb.

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah it should work...I know that some people use Pentium Ms (dothan cores) in desktops and because they share Inte's newer 'core' architecture they outperform procs running much "faster" clock speeds

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hope it works for you, but watch out for heat problems with a mobile Pentium 4 in a laptop. I have heard of heat problems with that CPU in a laptop. I think that that is why they were discontinued in laptops. No firm evidence though, just third party talk. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds