Mobile Phone Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laskid, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Laskid

Laskid Private First Class

I was thinking about getting a bluetooth pc card for the V3 RAZR that I just ordered. Then I started thinking a little more rationally and couldn't figure out why I would need to connect my pc to my phone. I think ringtones have to be downloaded on the phone, don't they? Any ideas about why I would need to connect to my pc?

2. Olley

Olley Sergeant

if u want to use it for mobile internet...or to backup ur phone numbers.. but i dont really think that its worth it...

3. Laskid

Don't think it has video, but with only 5mb of mem it's not a big deal. I guess it may be worth it to transfer ringtones and pics and not have to bother with yet another usb cable. Thanks for the 2nd opinions.

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Now I'm all for bluetooth, I use my usb adaptor a lot, transferring pictures back and forth, it's so much more convenient. Perhaps this should've gone in the hardware section.

5. Laskid

Yeah, it probably should have been in the hardware section. I'll post there too.

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

No, I'll get an admin to move it.

7. Laskid

Ooops...didn't know that was possible. I guess an admin can get rid of the one that I just posted!

Do you think the usb adaptors are better than the pci cards?

8. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

I'll save you some trouble -- I have a razr and just reviewed it for the radio show.

The phone will function bluetooth to bluetooth for normal devices. That means headsets, handhelds that sort of thing. I was unable to get the phone to send data to a PC (It will recive bluetooth data but not send it) I'll save you some trouble -- I have a razr and just reviewed it for the radio show.

The phone will function Bluetooth to Bluetooth for normal devices easily. That means headsets, handhelds that sort of thing. I was unable to get the phone to send data to a PC (It will receive Bluetooth data but not send it) I used several different Bluetooth adapters. I suspect you have to have Motorola’s proprietary adapter – which there was no point in ordering, since the phonies also USB.

The Razr’s USB connection will allow you to transfer data as well as charge your phone via USB. However you MUST have the Motorola software package Phone Tools to do so. It will not even charge without it since there is no native Windows driver for the phone. You also will need one of the newer 5 pin USB cables – for some reason my cable that was a year or so old will not work with that phone, although it works with everything else.

When you install phone tools the phone may or may not work still. Depending on how finicky your XP is that day, you will have to manually add the driver from the phone tools software location: C:\Program Files\mobile PhoneTools\Inf\W2K_XP_USB_Drivers

The phone tools software is pretty neat once you get use to it – It will even cut custom ring tones straight from a CD (converts to MP3) Just remember they cant be over 30 seconds.

Enjoy.

9. Laskid

Thanks for the info. I was looking at what's included with the phone and I didn't see the phone tools software. Is that something that I have to purchase seperately?

10. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Yes you have to buy it separately -- I think some retailers haveit, but you can get it direct from motorola

http://tinyurl.com/b7gfj

If you plan on doing anything at all with the PC and the phone -- you need it otherwise dont bother.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds