MoBo 661FX-M won't recognize SATA hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DUENAS-737, Jun 5, 2010.

1. DUENAS-737

DUENAS-737 Private E-2

OK. I did search and googled it but did not find an adequate topic or post about it.

My computer is not very new. I bought it from Fry's in 2004. It is a GQ 5090 runnig Windows XP home sp3 MoBo is 661FX-M with a 40g IDE Hard drive. It does have two SATA connectors. I just bought one Seagate 750gb SATA Hard Drive and connected it to the SATA 1 port but the computer doesn't show it. I went to BIOS and looked for a SATA option but there is none.

The Standard CMOS features only shows:
    IDE Channel 0: Master
    IDE Channel 0: Slave
    IDE Channel 1: Master
    IDE Channel 1: Slave
    UltraDMA :
    UltraDMA :

And so on. Or something very similar, I don't remember exaclty.

I went to Integrated Peripherials>SIS OnChip PCI Device>

And it says:
    (After many other options)
    SiS Serial ATA Controller [Enabled]
    SiS Serial ATA Mode [IDE]

I hit enter on [IDE] and it gives me two choices

[IDE]
    [Raid]

I changed it to [Raid] and when it boots it gives me another option of confiiguring Raid but I couldn't do it. I tried it but I do not know how to. I don't know if I was suppossed to see the drive or not, I just didn't see it. I let it boot all the way to windows and tried to find it from there but I couldn't either. I didn't see the drive nor in BIOS, nor in the Cofigure Raid Option at boot up nor from Windows.

This would be the very first time I try to install a SATA hd in my life, and my motherboard is running from an IDE hard drive so I probably just don't know how to do it. Any advices?

2. DUENAS-737

DUENAS-737 Private E-2

Ok, I went to see the options in the standard CMOS features. It says:

IDE Channel 0: Master [my dvd burner]
    IDE Channel 0: Slave [my other dvd burner]
    IDE Channel 1: Master [my IDE 40gs hard drive]
    IDE Channel 1: Slave [none]
    IDE Channel 2: Master [none]
    IDE Channel 3: Master [none]

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  4. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

Is there any dust on the contacts. Try to clean the contacts, and tell us if progress.;)

5. DUENAS-737

DUENAS-737 Private E-2

I AM using the power connectors for the SATA interface and tried and clean the leads. This SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 has some pins next to the connectors for the power and the interface. These pins are shorted for limit to 1.5Gb/s or open for 3Gb/s. The pins are currently open, I am going to short them to try and see if my MoBo has some limit to SATA operaton to no more than 1.5Gb/s. However I notice that the disk is not spinning. I hold it in my hand and cannot feel any vibration. Do ya'll think it is normal that this kind of drive spins so subtle that I cannot feel it or would it be better to exchange it. Or maybe since they are currently set to 3Gb/s the MoBo cannot even turn it on?
    Well, I'll keep ya'll posted but any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    THX
    Martin

6. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

There is a manual here about using the SATA controller on that mother board here - http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs/manual/mb/eng/k8/964_180um030.pdf.
    Also disable RAID as your not making a RAID array.

Unfortunately I cant find out anything about the limitations of that board but you may need to update
    the BIOS, check your BIOS version and see if there is a latter one but only flash the BIOS if it's really really necessary!

"I hold it in my hand and cannot feel any vibration."
    If it's not spinning up it won't initiate, try putting your ear next to it as you turn the power on you should hear a few tic or click sounds as it initiates if not it's possibly faulty.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

iS THIS YOUR MOTHERBOARD SPEC?
    http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/ECS/661FX-M/

SATA DRIVER
    This is often only used to instal windows on a new sata hard drive.
    I FOUND THIS ONE- I USED THIS A LONG TIME AGO FOR TH661 FX M MOTHERBOARD.
    http://www.foxconnsupport.com/downl...01&series=en-us0000002&keywords=&sort=Drivers

JBOD RAID- EXPLAINED BETWEEN THESE PAGES OF VOODOO3RD PDF.PAGES 38-TO HALF WAY DOWN 45
    oF COURSE YOU COULD JUST DISCONNECT THE IDE, AND INSTAL THE SATA DRIVER AT THE F6 PROMPT, WHILE INSTALLING XP ON THE NEW HARD DRIVE,
    AND USE THE IDE AS A SLAVE, AND COPY YOUR DATA TO THE NEW DRIVE THROUGH DISC MANAGEMENT.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds