Mobo/CPU Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CII, Jan 5, 2006.

1. CII

CII Private E-2

Currently, I have a P4 3.0 Prescott with an Intel i925XE mobo, ASUS EAX850 Pro Vid Card and 2 Gigs of OCZ Golds @ 533Mhz.

What I'm looking to do overall is to replace the CPU and the Mobo with:
    P4 3.4 Prescott
    Abit AAXE 925XE

I would like to replace them one at a time (spelled "Married man with 3 kids") :rolleyes:

Would it be better to purchase the mobo and use my current 3.0 Prescott and overclock it. Or would it be better to buy the chip and use my current Intel i925XE mobo.

*** I am a BF2 player and want a little more power, but I also use my comp for work and need the stability of the Intel breed.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Difference between a 3.0 and a 3.4 is negligable if any.

Unless you have other reasons you want to change, your current system is pretty good.

If you do want a new motherboard and CPU, I would go AMD.

3. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Well if you need the stability don't overclock :) , probably best to get the chip first and the mobo second. After all the increase in speed from the new processor will far surpass the increase from the board. The extra 400Mhz probably won't be such a big improvement, but it will be noticeable especially in windows. Is it worth the cash? :rolleyes:

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

going from a 3.0 to a 3.4 will not really make a noticeable difference not even in windows. may feel just a bit more responsive especially with a newer chipset (IE ..945) have a 3.4 managed to oc it to 3.856 but too much heat for my liking. also have to agree with insomniac if you want something faster and more ocable go amd. i did and havent had any stability issues :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds