Mobo help needed... how to update BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steverino, May 15, 2004.

1. Steverino

Steverino Private E-2

Hey y'all.
    I just started TW 2004, finished one hole, then a blue screen new to me popped up. Said it was dumping physical memory to disk... and if it was the first time I'd seen it, to just restart. It also said if it wasn't the first time, to maybe update BIOS, get latest drivers, or something like that.

So, I figured maybe I should do that.
    I have an IntelĀ® SE440BX-2 Motherboard. It is apparently unsupported now.
    When I go to their site:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=208

There's no option for the XP operating system, when I look for available downloads. Should I select "OS Independent"?

A lil' help here techie guru folks?

Thanks,

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Unsupported cause dont manufacture anymore.
    on your link (Intel download page) on left side, in box: download assistance the second bullit: says:The "OS independent" option is for all downloads which will work for any operating system

First thought just dont support XP (thier is bios for 2K, similar to XP), But when update bios is always risk, when not done properly and with incorrect version, all you get is board that dont work, (new paper weight)

So will it work?? good question, Is worth risk??
    I would contact Intel via email or phone before trying to update bios with OS Independent version.
    same page at top in blue click support& downloads then click contact support, option for email or phone listing
    Good Luck!

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Selecting the various Windows versions at your link, it turns out they're all the same "OS Independent" BIOS version, dated prior to the release of XP. Wouldn't hurt to look over the release notes on that page. If XP works with your present BIOS version, chances are it will with that one too, assuming it's newer. You might check the date on yours, if it's the same there's no need to bother.

Ususally when you flash BIOS, the utility will give you an option to save your current BIOS to disk 1st, in case you decide to restore it later, so it's worth a try as long as you do it correctly. If it fails in mid-flash then you're left with a board that won't boot as ASUS said, but you take that risk anytime you flash BIOS.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Nice Observation, Alanc
    Yes are all same.
    Steverino, do you already have bios version P17 Date 9/21/2000. As stated by Alanc,
    If your already running Xp and bios is older than P17 (IOM I'd flash it)
    GOOD LUCK TO YA!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds