MoBo Overheat is Back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itmortiz, Sep 23, 2010.

1. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

I started some weeks ago this thread:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=222321

Now i can see the Board is overheating in a specific area, according to the Manual is the Intel 82946GZ GMCH, i readed more and is the Video Chip in the MoBo.

It have like a metalic stuff over it (don't know if i remove it without kill the board).

[​IMG]

That part is overheating alot, i solved it using a Cooler but i want to fix it because it never had that problem before.

Actually im working with that Mobo without problem using cooler but any suggestions to fix it will be appreciated.

EDIT:**: PC have 3 GB RAM, and i didn't run anything (process or programs) and get warm, also i had to add a new cooler that didn't need before.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. holiday

holiday Private E-2

I would clean the computer thoroughly with compressed air, perhaps add another exhaust fan (check the existing ones to make sure they're working well) and get the computer off the floor if it's on it. I doubt it would be a driver causing the issue... although

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

DO NOT remove the heatsink from the chip(s) unless you are ready to change the Thermal Interface Material(TIM). Putting a fan on that area is excellent along with the ideas from holiday.

4. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Thanks for advices, i already used compressed air and a special liquid to clean "contacts" like alcohol but designed for clean chips and those things.

I guess is better let it like now, just that new fan is doing the work, i have Thermal Stuff for processors but don't know if is the same for chips.

Thanks again.:zzz

5. augiedoggie

Ya, that's the problem as these other chips may take pads and not Arctic Silver goop, I found that out on my board. Do some research at your mobo's makers forums site if they have one.

I still can't understand why the temps would fluctuate, maybe a bad sensor? Have you touched the heatsink with your finger yet and does it feel as hot as it is supposed to be?

6. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

- goop?
    - heatsink?

Oh man... so much English... i will translate and tell you :eek:

7. augiedoggie

I'm sorry senor, goop = thermal paste, a very thick white compound that helps in the transfer of heat from the chip to the heatsink.
    Heatsink= the silver thing inside your red box. There is a smaller heat producing chip(s) under that. Here is a link to a Wiki page and perhaps there is an equivalent page in your language. Good luck.:)

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I think it would be okay to use the same as cpu's as long it's not electrically conductive.

Wouldn't suggest AS5 for the Northbridge

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008 Expensive but well worth it. I use it.

I think it's just as good as Artic Silver but non electrically conductive.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds