MoBo SATA 1 to SATA 2 slot question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bgunn, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

Quick question to prove (or disprove)....

The SATA connection on my MoBo came off, making that connection point no good... tried putting the C drive HDD into SATA 2 slot -- came with error message.

Now, I have yet to try this BUT wondering if anyone knows the answer...

If I go into the BIOS and disable SATA 1 on the Mobo, will that then put SATA 2 into the driver seat for the C drive connection?

Or does that not matter and thus losing the SATA 1 connection point put this MoBo in the dumper?

thanks
    bgunn

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Try rebooting with the HDD in the SATA11 slot, maybe all it needs is a proper driver which will be found from the OS. I'm not sure killing the SATA will work, give us something to go by like the make/model of your mobo. By rights your SATA11 should recognize your regular one.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

SATA isn't like IDE, where channels/connector number matters. Personally, I think it's likely that when the SATA1 connector came off, it shorted out the SATA circuitry altogether.

It would help to know as augie mentioned, what your motherboard make/model number is, and it would also help to know EXACTLY what the error message said.

4. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

ok... well tried running with the HDD hooked up to SATA 2 and got further than I did when I first tried it. Even went in and disable (as much as I could) the SATA 1 connection.

It would boot up act like it was going to work. The Windows XP logo would show, then flicker out, then come back.... then a BSOD would flash (too fast to read) across the screen and the whole system would re-start.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

nm as that wouldn't work now. Sorry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds