mobo speaker/buzzer for P5Q-Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Nov 3, 2010.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

My Q6600 doesn't even want to POST, nothing onscreen. Since there's no speaker on the mobo though it does have a speaker output on the front panel connector, but the CM 690 case doesn't have a speaker. What can I use so that I can further diagnose my issue by hearing the 4 beep codes that this generous BIOS supplies.rolleyes Thanks

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Will a headphone jack fit the speaker output plug?

If not, got a multimeter? You might be able to rig it so that you can see some voltage change corresponding to the 'beeps'.

3. augiedoggie

The speaker output is on that infuriatingly small front panel header.:mad The multimeter is a good idea as there is a pad on the mobo which would normally have hosted a speaker. I'll have to pull the mobo out again to properly access that pad with my DVMM.

Thanks,

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Speaker on the front panel is from the Sound Card and will not work until Windows boots up successfully. The speaker you refer to is mounted on the Motherboard (a little cylindrical black device about 1/2" diameter) or on the inside front of the case and plugged into the motherboard. Check the specs of the Motherboard and see if there is a four pin connector for an external speaker. If there is an 8 ohm speaker of any size or an 8 ohm earphone can be connected to pins 1 and 4.

Good Luck, Jim

5. augiedoggie

Well guys, as it turns out, my new PSU failed after a week. Corsair CX600W. I have taken the mobo out of its case and it is now running with its guts all over the table with my old PSU!:-D I have to say that the Corsair did not take anything else out which is a huge reason why I pay good money for a PSU!

Thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully it will help someone else.:)

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Man, good thing it didn't explode! :-o

Check it out: Newegg has the Antec TPQ-1200 for sale - I'm just sayin'...

7. augiedoggie

Ya, yer just sayin'.:-D I was originally going to get that exact PSU for my i7, 3X GTX480 build but I backed out on the 480's and am very happy with a Corsair TX750 powering a GTX260 and a GTX470. Been running fine 24/7 @%100 for the last 3 months.:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds