modem and internet connection question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nias43, Dec 31, 2009.

1. nias43

nias43 Private E-2

First time on here so” hi to everyone and thanks for taking time to help me”.
    My problem is very unreliable (cut-off for no reason) and very, very slow internet connection.
    I live in Spain and have no landline. We have to use a erikison tracker phone which works fine for telephone voice calls.
    The modem on my xp computer is a “ PCI SOFTV92 (COM5) and my internet speed through the tracker phone is 48.0kbps.
    What maximum speed on the modem configure option should I set it to. The options range from – 1200 to 921600bps? Should anyone thinks this is not the solution, any help and suggestions as to how I can speed/make reliable the connection would be gratefully received.

2. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Sadly, with a phone connection your not going to get much more speed than your are already getting. 48k is actually reasonable for a 56k modem. You can set the speed of the modem for the highest setting thus allowing the modem to run as fast as possible. As for the reliability, that would probably have something to do with the quality of the signal it is getting over the phone line itself. Are the actual phone lines where your are old and perhaps having a problem keeping a data stream moving?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The OP stated he does not have a land line.
    He is asking for help setting using a cellphone as a modem.

I'm sure this is not your model but there is software and a driver.
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/usbdrivers/w302?cc=gb&lc=en

If you give the exact model of your Sonyericsson phone, perhaps I can see what software is available to give you a stronger connection.

4. nias43

nias43 Private E-2

Thanks to plodr and icsmith39 and sorry for delay in reply:
    My phone is a "ericsson F251m" which is supplied by telefonica (main telephone provider here in Spain). As to the state of the landlines in this area I belive them to be pretty good (my nearest neighbour has broadband and is around 2km away from me -- lucky so & so).
    Also though my reading show 48.0kbps on the internet connection status window, when I try and download its much slower than that. Have just downloaded a web template and the download speed starts at 5.13 kb/sec and decreases to 837 kb/sec very quickly.
    Hope that gives a clue to my problem.
    Thanks again to you both and await any ideas you may have
    nias43

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Nias,
    Not much help but the speeds, 1200-921600 are the speed used to move data to and from the modem and have little to do with out/in baud rates. Set it to the highest available and back off if problems worsen.

Good Luck, Jim

6. plodr

The speed of downloading is dependent on the server. It doesn't depend on your connection alone.
    Example: I have a fast cable broadband connection at 6Mbps (about .6MB/sec or 36MB per minute) with a speed boost up to 12Mbps for the first minute of a download. I had to grab a 300MB file from HP the other day. At my speed and disregarding the speed boost at the beginning, the file should take under 9 minutes to download. I ended up pausing it because it was going to take between 1 and 2 hours. Clearly the HP servers were getting hammered by people downloading things - probably for new Christmas computers. :-D
    Today I downloaded something from MS, 8.3MB. That took less than one minute to download.

I get nothing for F251m model on the Sonyericsson site. It is probably a special model supported by telphonica rather than Sonyericsson.
    I'll see if I can find anything on the web.

7. nias43

nias43 Private E-2

Again thanks to you all:
    jlphlp--will play around with the speeds and see how it goes. thanks
    plodr--again thanks, have found my phone on the internet

http://www.westlake.co.uk/Ericsson_F251_Fixed_Cellular_Terminal.htm

is this any help ? wish I had something near your speed :cry but "beggars can't be chosers" took 1 year to get this phone. Also I am very new to this and am learning a lot.
    Look forward to your reply
    nias43

8. plodr

I managed to find a picture so I see what you have, a fixed cellular terminal, rather than a cell phone.
    http://www.venteville.nl/print/print_cellular.html
    Do you connect a phone wire from the F251m to the modem in your computer?
    I know in the US there are 4 wire and 6 wire phone cords. Maybe if you try a different phone cord, it might work a bit better.

9. nias43

nias43 Private E-2

Hi plodr:
    Try and explain my very basic set up. Ericsson terminal on my wall which sends 1 lead/wire down to a small terminal box. Here I fixed a double socket with 1 lead going to my telephone and the other into my desktop modem.

Will look into the 4/6 wire options ASAP.

Also, having found the link to my phone (see previous post) it states the terminal box has a built in modem? Is this located where the initial lead/wire comes out from the terminal box and if so is it worth me plugging the computer into this directly?

If you think it is worth a go (don’t like playing around with telefonica.es equipment as they take forever repairing things here in the outback:)) do I have to bypass my pc’s modem? before plugging in directly (if so how do I do it?)

Again really appreciate your time on this no doubt trivial matter to many of the forum users ( but would like at least a reliable connection ,even if it is slow.

Nias43

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds