Modem Knockin Line Dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CEDDYCED, Jul 3, 2004.

1. CEDDYCED

CEDDYCED Private E-2

Got A Hp Pivilion 563w. One Day A Storm Came Through And Lightning Struck A Tree Near Da House. Computer Was Not On But Phone Line Was Plugged In. When Da Line Is Diconnected From Computer, Phone Works Fine. Can't Connect To Internet. Looked At Trouble Shooting Modem And It Says Modem Is Working Fine. What Might Be Causing This?

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Can you dial out with the modem?

3. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Even though it says your modem is working, the modem is fried.
    I had the same thing happen to me once.

Time for a new one.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

True to that. The internals of the modem is probably fine, but the terminals that connect the connector to the modem itself has probably either fused together or one of the components in between the line pair has been blown (so it "picks up" the phoneline but it shorts so you get no signal down the line).

Similar thing happened to me once, but the power rail terminal and the bell pull terminal got fused together, causing the phone to ring constantly :eek:

5. CEDDYCED

CEDDYCED Private E-2

Nah, Can't Dial At All. If The Line Is Soo Much As Plugged In The Computer It Will Knock Line Dead. Looking For A New Modem And Hopefully Thats All. Anybody Got Any Ideas On Brand And Price?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds