Modem or Router communication issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quone, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Quone

Quone Private E-2

So I'm stumped. Seemingly out of nowhere my internet has gone out from the router (Netgear Range Max WNDR3300). When I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop from the modem I have internet just fine (as I am doing now), but as soon as I try to route anything via the router, it's game over.

I'm receiving great signal from the router, but browsers continue to show "can't connect/server is busy/offline mode" style messages. Same goes for when it's hardlined from the router to a PC.

Assuming a router problem, I simply replaced the Range Max with a Netgear Wireless N-150 WNR1000 I had sitting around- same problem.

Additional information:
    -Wireless signal is detected, but not working with four various laptops, both Mac and PC, as well an Xbox 360 and Wii.

-Comcast has already told me it is in fact a router problem

-I've tried to reconfigure the router, but when logging on it tells me there is no internet connection it can detect.

-Internet was working mostly fine, minus sometimes cutting out three stories away even though it was claiming an "excellent" or "very good" signal.

So I'm stumped. I would think that if it was modem problem I simply wouldn't receive a signal at all, and if it was a router problem, replacing it would remedy to situation.

2. evil_queen_lisa

evil_queen_lisa Private E-2

try a different ethernet cable? Maybe the cable is bad?
    *EQL*

3. Quone

Quone Private E-2

Crisis averted - One of my housemates had ran another modem to boost the signal to his Xbox. It was causing conflicts when I went to reinstall the original router. No idea what knocked it out in the first place, but things are up and running now!

4. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

Did your housemate use a wireless router/modem? If so, then probably what happened is that both devices were on the same channel. When using multiple wireless access points, it is essential to set them on different channels. The process is known as "channel bonding". :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds