Modem takes phone off hook whenever computer on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MixingBliss, Jul 20, 2005.

1. MixingBliss

MixingBliss Private E-2

Hi all -- This is a problem I've have for two months. I'm using a Dell Dimension XPS T500 with Windows 98. I have a 56K US Robotics WinFax Modem. I'm running on 128 mb memory.

Anytime the computer is on, the modem takes my landline phone off the hook. I wondered if some sort of bot or spyware had hijacked my modem, but when I am listening on the phone, I can hear the modem pick up the phone the very instant I turn the computer on. By the time I'm all booted up and ready to go online, the dial tone has expired. (I work around this by disconnecting the plug from the wall until I'm ready to go online. Then I plug it back in and hit dial.) When the computer is off or when the phone line is not connected to the modem, my phone line works fine, so I don't think it's a phone problem.

Is my modem shot? Is this a software problem? Or is a setting misaligned?

I use MSN dialup service and don't recall having made any changes right before this happened.

Thanks guys.

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Go into control panel and select phone and modem options and check your dial up properties for the card and make sure the settinds are correct.

3. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Sorry to inject humour into this but take a look at this site
    it shows you the difference between a Normal peripheral and a Shot peripheral
    http://www.oldvan.com/shot/index.htm

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

lol [​IMG]

5. MixingBliss

MixingBliss Private E-2

Hi Guys -- Thanks for the tip. I have checked my modem settings several times, and they seem to be correct. I don't have any setting that seems to control whether the modem takes the phone off the hook at startup. Can anyone specify any particular setting that may be the culprit?

Thanks.

6. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

It could be a bios setting, but i dont know enough about the bios to point to the specific setting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds