Modem will not disconnect...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rogvalcox, Jun 12, 2006.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Never experienced or worked on this problem before so I thought I would run this by whoever and see if anyboby else knows of this issue off the top of their head!?!?

My mother in law is a poker jusnkie so needless to say she is online all day everyday, and the dial up moidem has been working just fine until tioday. She went to disconnect the modem and the little connection icon down in the tray disappeared just as it should once it disconnects. The only thing is...it will not disconnect!! Her portable house phone still says "Line in Use", even after she is supposedly disconnected. If she double clicks on the dial up shortcut...it comes up as if it is ready to dial in, and she clicks on "Dial" and the whole dial up window disappears, with no messages about not being able to find the dial tone or any such thing. So basically, she has to totally shut the comp down in order to get it to actually disconnect!!

I understand that it could be spyware, and/or driver isues, as I know those kind of thing crop up out of nowhere...but I am trying to avoid going out there today, since I have too much to do myself....so I was basically wondering if anyone else knows of a setting or something I'm not aware of that I might could have her do over the phone, and possibly put a temporary fix on this!?!?!?

BTW...It is windows 2000 OS.

Roger

2. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

well i've had that kind of issue before but it was just a one time thing. are you sure thats not the case here? try connecting it again and disconnecting and see where it gets you. If it still happens i'll look for a real solution

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

rogvalcox be a good Son-in-Law and buy your Mother-in Law DSL/Cable..........Hey she paid me to say that:D No actually it sounds like the Line Pick-up Relay is failing, can occur due to a spike down the Tel Line, or just enough stray voltage on the Modem board to keep the contacts closed (ie "Line Open). Change the Modem Card and Mother-in-Law will be back in "Poker Heaven"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds