Molex plug to SATA power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Capt quirk, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Capt quirk

Capt quirk Private First Class

I need an extra SATA plug than my PSU has to offer. Taking an old PSU, I snipped off a Molex 4 pin plug, and a couple of SATA plugs, thinking to "fix me up a solution". Problem is, the molex has a red, a yellow, and two black wires. The SATA has a red, a yellow, two blacks... and an orange wire. What do I hook the orange wire to?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

3. Capt quirk

So... where do I hook the orange wire?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

5. Capt quirk

I thought about ordering one, but it would cot 3 times the price to ship it, and I wouildn't have it until next week. You are right, it doesn't look like you need the orange, but I'd rather be double sure, ya know?

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Look at your existing connector. Is the orange hooked up now? If not, that means that it is not used, due to drives do not need the 3.3v.

7. Capt quirk

On most of the PSUs I have, yes, the orange wire comes from the PSU itself to the SATA plug. But the adapters only show 4 wires, leading me to believe that either a) they don't use it, or b) they hook up one of the other wires in it's place, but you just can't see it.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you hook 5v into the 3.3v lead, it will blow the device. You are thinking into it way too much. Click on the image, and you will see that only four leads are used.

Attached Files:

9. Capt quirk

I've tried not thinking too much, and that seems to cause way more problems ;)

I just can't understand why it has the extra wire if it isn't needed, ya know? I just got this machine up and running after two months, and would really hate to blow it up... like hooking a wrong wire up.

10. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

other than the molex to sata converter, you could just get an sata splitter.. these are relitively cheap also..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds