Moniter not letting computer boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynncrist, Jul 1, 2005.

1. lynncrist

lynncrist Private E-2

A friend built me a new computer, I retained my HP FX70 (flat screen)moniter, my keyboard and mouse. At first there didn't seem to be a problem but as time has gone on it won't boot up. He took it home and it was fine. I brought it home and it won't boot up. I unpluged moniter and turned computer on. I waited for about 5 min. and plugged moniter in and it was fine but have been told I shouldn't do that as I could damage the mother board. Can this problem be fixed? Asus A7V600-X Via socket A ATX motherboard, AMD Anthlon XP 2900 + processor, Operating System is Windows XP. Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Lynn

2. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

OUCH! dude or dudess, never ever unplug or plug anything into or out of the computer when it is powered up!, the only safe devices that can be unplugged while powered up are USB devices!, It is very likely you could have damaged your graphics card in the process of just plugging in the monitor while still powered up, (reminds me of the time my friend had a monitor problem and thought the solution lied in switching the country voltage from 240V to 120V, BANG the PSU went up like a balloon, luckily his pc survived, the fuse got in the way lol).
    If you have access to another monitor try using that and see if your graphics card has survived having its display rammed down it throat lol If the monitor is causing a non boot (ie no post or beeps) then there is something inside the monitor shorting the power and/or video signals down the cable. you will need to have this checked by a qualified electrician. try your monitor on a friends pc temporarily to see if it happens to theirs. if so, its the monitor and needs expert attention. check for splits in the signal cable or shorts in the pins. thats all i can suggest. sorry.

3. FinalJason823

FinalJason823 Private E-2

It's sad to say, but I know so many people who have done the same thing dude. Mostly the same reason, "my pc wasn't running right, I thought it might need more power so I switched it to 230". I think perhaps I'm being harsh, but if you don't know enough about PC's to know that, then don't try changing stuff like the country wattage selector. And don't unplug things, and I mean absolutely no offense. You said though that you have a friend who built it, so he should know more of what to do though. It does sound like the monitor, I wonder though does it actually just not boot up at all or is it just that you aren't getting a picture? Does it beep after you power it on, does the light come on?

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Dude! your psu has switch to increase the wattage,Do tell.

:D

5. lynncrist

lynncrist Private E-2

NOT TO WORRY! my computer guy told me NOT to UNHOOK OR HOOK anything up AGAIN while it was on! I borrowed a CRT moniter and the computer booted right up with no problems. I shut it down reconnected the flat screen moniter, restarted it and it would not boot up. the lights on the computer would light up and beep, it seemed to go through a routine of beeping and the ASUS screen would flash up for a split second and it would go through its routine again. I shut it down and re-connected my CRT moniter and then went through the beeping routine again. Fearing I really messed up my computer, I let it set for about 10 min. and re-booted again and it came up OK. Do I just toss an expensive flat screen moniter? Another thing, I have had this new computer for about 3 mos. but this problem just recently started, so would that indicate that it is indeed a moniter problem? Are moniters work getting fixed or is all computer stuff considered "disposable"?
    Lynn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds