Monitor colours have gone wonky

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jackie D, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jackie D

Jackie D Private E-2

Can anyone help? I have a iiyama Prolite B2403WSB1 monitor. Last week I had a virus and needed to reinstall my OS and software. Suddenly the colours look odd on the monitor. It looks like there is a pink going to green wash over it from top to bottom. I uninstalled the last software I'd put on (Adobe Photoshop CS) and the monitor was back to normal. I then installed the following and the problem came back:

Memory map OS
    Memory map navigator
    Eraser
    Quicktime
    WriteitNow 4

None of these have ever caused a problem before but I uninstalled on the off chance one of them was causing the colour issue. They obviously weren't because I still have the problem. I could ask iiyama but my monitor is out of warranty.

Do you know what could be happening?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Jackie,

It reads like one of the wires in the monitor cable might have developed a fault, like it's rubbed through its' insulation and making contact with, perhaps an earth/ground/shield. Do you have, or could you borrow to test, another cable of the correct fittings?

Perhaps just re-routing the cable might release any tension that's causing this, it could hold out for a while if you could find the sweet spot.

3. Jackie D

Jackie D Private E-2

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try re-routing and if that doesn't work get another cable.

4. Jackie D

Jackie D Private E-2

One bit of information I forgot to add though - when Windows is loading the monitor looks fine until the last moment - I can see it flick from perfect to pinky green. Does make a difference to your thoughts about the cable?

5. satrow

Oooh, yes it does; what that tells us is that the default (VGA/Safe or w/e driver) is good but the Windows installed driver isn't (really, it's probably a setting or combination of settings that needs adjusting).

Ok, let's check in Device Manager - any flagged !'s in there? What are they?
    What does DevMan describe your monitor as?
    What does DevMan describe your display adapter(s) as?

6. Jackie D

Jackie D Private E-2

No flags. It says NVidia G Force 7500 LE and the monitor iiyama Prolite L400W-B1X

My monitor is actually Prolite B2403WS-B1 but when I reinstalled OS and software, the screen looked awful so I asked Device manager to update the monitor driver. It installed one that said analogue and the screen still looked low res. I downloaded the drivers and installed the closest match - not sure they are correct though.

7. satrow

Ok, I think downloading incorrect drivers for the monitor could easily account for some of this.

A quick search finds a driver on a Bulgarian iiyama website, right pane, iiyama_driver.zip. Download that and give it a try. Wait, I've extracted what should be the correct files from it, try the attachment.

Attached Files:

8. Jackie D

Jackie D Private E-2

It worked! Thank you. I coulnd't find the digital driver on the iiyama website but I thought a close match would be ok. Obviously not! Brill - you've made my day. Thanks again.

9. satrow

Now get that MM reinstalled and get back to plotting running routes or whatever ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds