monitor connection type?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

How do i find out what type of connection my monitor has, i need to know so that i can know whether or not a new graphic card will connect.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

3. Anon-125cdb8a9b

ok thanks for the links. Any idea what uk site offers cheap adapter cables?

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

5. Anon-125cdb8a9b

6. OLIVER_TECHMASTER

OLIVER_TECHMASTER Private E-2

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I see that cable has male-type connectors on both ends instead of one male and one female connector. If that's what you need for the hardware you're working with, then that cable should work fine.

8. OLIVER_TECHMASTER

OLIVER_TECHMASTER Private E-2

Yes i was thinking but I thought that is what you wanted.:)

9. Anon-125cdb8a9b

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You've never explicitly stated any details about your graphics card or monitor? Which device has the DVI connector and which has VGA?

Look carefully at the cables on the two links you posted. The DVI ends have different pin configurations. I'm not sure how to assess that difference, but it may be a critical difference.

11. Anon-125cdb8a9b

The monitor has a 15 pin vga female connector. And im looking into getting a Geforce 9800 GT graphics card, the outputs/connectors on the card are both DVI-I.

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, you'll be fine with the cable you linked to at digibuy, however, you probably won't need it as the 9800GT comes with 2 DVI to VGA connectors in the box(At least my eVGA do). I have some extras if you need one.;)

EDIT: The DVI side of the adapter has a male side to connect to the card and a female side to connect to your existing monitor cable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

He said, in previous post, he needed the cable with two male ends.

15. Anon-125cdb8a9b

the cable at play.com has to male ends, will that be ok?

Another question on the gfx card, do i need to do anything to it or is it just a plug and play sort of thing?

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, both cables cited have two male ends. But, again, they have different pin configurations. You haven't responded to that point yet.

You don't need to do anything to the graphics card; just connect the cord or adapter.

17. augiedoggie

Everybody's VGA monitor cable comes with two male ends.:confused One end plugs into the monitor and the other plugs into the DVI/VGA adapter.

18. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Sorry i havent responded, to be honest i cant quite figure out what you mean by configuration?

19. augiedoggie

Take a look here. I believe that's what USAF meant.

20. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Did you not look closely at the images, as I suggested? One has 25 pins and one has 23 pins. Notice the gap in the one with 23 pins.

21. Anon-125cdb8a9b

O i see now, i need a cable without the gap in the middle.

Another question about the card: it says i need a 6-pin power connector and a sli connector, are these optional or madatory?

22. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Oh, OK, I'm accustomed to using monitors with permanently attached cables. But, you're talking about a monitor with a port to which a cable is connected, same as with the graphics card. Right? Now, it makes sense. :-o

23. augiedoggie

How big is your power supply? 420W is a minimum and yes you need the 6-pin plug, if your power supply is strong enough without a 6 pin plug then eVga includes an adapter to hook up to two molex connectors. Make sure of your power supply.:) SLI is only needed if you run two cards at the same time, you won't need that.

24. Anon-125cdb8a9b

I have a 450W Power Supply.

25. augiedoggie

Hehehe yup, it's modular these days with power and dual inputs. I still have a really old green monitor which works with VGA adapter, the connections haven't changed in 25 years. I keep it as a spare to my LCD.:)

26. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You have one of high performance cards that requires it's own power cord. I haven't used such a card yet but, yes, I believe you need to have a power cord available from your power supply for the 6-pin power connector and you need to connect it.

I believe the sli, on the other hand, is optional. That is where you use two graphics cards linked together. So, if you're using your card as a stand-alone card, then you won't use the SLI connection. Reference: http://www.pcmech.com/article/sli-technology/

Edit: Ah, I see augiedoggie answered these points. I didn't see that before I posted.

27. augiedoggie

I guess you're good to go then. If you don't have a 6-pin plug, this is what the adapter looks like. Have fun! BTW, I hope you have a name brand power supply, the cheap ones may not be able to handle it. Post your make and model of the power supply if you can and its age.

28. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Its an EZCOOL ATX-450 JSP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds