Monitor didn't work; wouldn't shut off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeoBloom., Jun 25, 2011.

1. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Hi,

I have a two monitor setup (main is a Dell 2209WA and the secondary is a Dell 1703fp), but today when I turned on my computer, it was as if the computer only recognized my secondary monitor. This has happened once before to me and eventually ended up being a dead GPU. I decided to test the graphics card this time, and tried running a 3d intensive game on the monitor that was working; everything seemed to be working fine. I noticed, however, that while the 2209 was plugged into my computer, I could not turn the 2209 off. It was only when I unplugged the DVI cable from the computer did the monitor become somewhat responsive to my trying to turn it off.

I finally reset the surge protector and reattached both monitors to the GPU and now both monitors seem to be working fine.

The question is what could have caused my main monitor to act that way and is my GPU in danger?

Thanks

2. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

bump,

It happened again today. I turned the computer on but the monitor (2209) never left standby mode. While the computer was on, holding the power button on the monitor did nothing. I reset the surge protector and everything was working normally again. Any ideas what could cause my monitor to become non-responsive and Windows' failure to recognize that it is attached, thereafter?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds