Monitor->Laptop Screen flickers out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noobis, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Noobis

Noobis Private E-2

I have an old CRT monitior connected through the VGA port on my laptop, but recently the monitor seems to be losing signal from the laptop.

The monitor displays "Suspend Mode 5 secs" then flickers back on then flickers off then on, sometimes going off completely for awhile. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and this doesn't seem to do anything.

Using WINDOWS 7 and the graphics Nivida GeForce Go 6150 ver 7.15.11.7967

Its not the power settings, if it is then its a glitch in the power settings and not the actual settings themselves.

It seems to happen randomly and right now its up and fine, usually its fine but just recently I had a real problem with it. I can't use the LCD screen because its broken.

A better example of what it did:

Was on and fine.. Suddenly Black screen, monitor went off, standby light on monitor stayed on.

Suddenly Flickered on saying "Suspend Mode 5 Secs" no count down. Stayed there for about 10 seconds then went off, then came back on for about a half a second then went off, then flickered the desktop screen then went off, then went back to "Suspend Mode 5 secs" then went off.

I shut off the laptop and plugged the monitor into my other laptop, the monitor came on and worked fine. Then I turned off and unplugged the monitor from the power and plugged it back in and put it back on the other laptop and turned on the laptop.

The same thing happened with the "suspend mode" and then it changed to "Check signal" when I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, it flickered, went off, then came back on, and it has been working now...

I don't really want this to happen again as I have important things on my laptop, I have everything saved to an external hard drive but this laptop is much faster and better for me to use.

Any help or advice on what I can do, I am not afraid to open it up and fix parts myself but I just would rather not as I hate opening up laptops.

But any ideas or information on what could be happening would be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Hmm. Odd. Any chance you can get another monitor to test whether it's the laptop or the monitor?

3. Noobis

Noobis Private E-2

Like I said. I am 100% positive that it is the laptop. Its just weird because it has recently started but it doesn't happen often. Most of the time not at all.. I am beginning to wonder if its just a cooling issue.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If it was a cooling issue you would see other problems on the laptop itself.

What make and model is the laptop?

If you try and wiggle the monitor connection on the laptop can you feel it move?

5. Noobis

Noobis Private E-2

Its in, like it doesn't move, and if I pull the plug out then it says to check the connection.

Its still doing it, even after I have left it off for awhile, I even tried a different monitor and it did the same thing. The laptop screen itself doesn't flicker off or anything, its just shattered.

With the plug in, it keeps going to suspend mode. I don't know what to do about it. I really want to use it because this laptop is breaking.

6. holiday

holiday Private E-2

can you boot into safe mode and see if the problem persists?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds