Monitor locks up when pc is idle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironheadbulldog, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ironheadbulldog

ironheadbulldog Private E-2

I have a HP media center m7590n pc with a HP f1905e flat screen monitor. When the pc sits idle for a while the monitor goes black as if it's in sleep mode. When you move the mouse or hit the key board it's hit or miss if the monitor will come back on. I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in to get it to work. Don't know why. Haven't changed anything.

Also when in hibernation if you try to use the pc sometimes it will not respond and I have to unplug it for it to work. This problem has been going on for a long time just don't think to [post for help till now.

Told Chaslang about this when he helped me clean my PC and he said to post it here.

Please help

Thanks

Ironheadbulldog

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Right click the desktop and select properties the click on the Screen Saver tab and last Power.
    Post what is selected in Power Schemes, Advanced and Hibernate so we know what the monitor and hd are set up to do.

3. ironheadbulldog

Ok sorry this post took so long.
    Power Schemes: energy star
    Turn off monitor: never
    turn off hard disks: never
    System standby: after 25 mins

Advanced: nothing is checked
    shut down when power button is pressed
    do nothing when sleep button pressed

Hibernate: nothing checked
    Free space: 3,641 MB
    disk space req to hibernate: 2,047 MB

UPS service is stopped

Away mode is enabled, return from away mode w/ mouse or keyboard activity box checked.

Thanks
    Ironheadbulldog

4. ironheadbulldog

Im sorry it took so long for my reply with the info you wanted but I really would like to get this fixed. can I get a reply for a fix please?

Thanks

5. plodr

Sorry, I see nothing that would indicate the problem you have. It is set to go into standby after 25 minutes.

Are your mouse and keyboard USB? If so, after a certain period of time, the USB ports might shut down to save power and that's why clicking the mouse or keyboard does nothing to turn the monitor back on.
    Instead of unplugging the monitor, unplug and replug the mouse (only if USB, NEVER a PS/2). Does that wake up the computer?

I'm confused because you have nothing checked under hibernation so that means the computer should never be going into this state.

6. plodr

I just found something about away mode. Since I don't own a media center PC, it isn't something I knew about.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902437

You might want to turn off the away mode because
    It sure sounds like your computer is in away mode rather than in standby.

7. ironheadbulldog

turned off away mode.I said hibernation because I thought that when the screen goes black and both the monitor light and the power button light on the tower go from blue to yellow. Thats when it happens.

mouse and keyboard both USB and plugged into the back of tower. kind of a pain to deal with them. Have been unplugging monitor from power at the monitor itself.

Thanks for the help and hope you can help some more

8. plodr

Although on the surface both standby and hibernate appear the same, they aren't.
    Standby turns the computer hd and monitor off but nothing else. Hibernate not only turns the screen and hd off but it stores an image of the current desktop/programs open etc. and places it in a special section of the hd called hiberfil.sys. Hibernate sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. In other words, sometimes the computer won't wake up from hibernation. I usually advise users to turn it off. I wanted to see if that was your problem; because I saw hibernate was not enabled, that wasn't what you were experiencing. So instead, I started searching for something else that might cause your problem.

9. ironheadbulldog

Thanks plodr i appreciate it.

10. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi ironheadbulldog,

Change the power scheme to Presentation.

also, when hibernation is activated, press the pc's power button to bring Windows out of that mode.

Techsent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds