Monitor Question(s)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Jun 26, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

About 6 or 8 months ago, I bought (unfortunately) a "reconditioned" Polaroid, 19" 720p LCD monitor.

I'm reading from/typing onto it right now.

The problem, it seems, is when it gets "too warm" (?), it shuts-down (screen goes black/blank). This occurs once every day or two, depending how long it has been "on" (running), and/or how warm the room temp. is.

"All" I have to do :-D, is turn it off, and then turn it right back on, and it works for some hours again before it repeats.

~QUESTION: Are the graphic demands of a computer system much more demanding (possibly causing more "heat") than the picture on a TV screen would be? In other words, might this monitor work better as a TV screen, rather than for my Vista Home PC, please?

Thanks in advance...
    PS ~ Where might some good deals be for a new 1080p monitor, please? Thanks again...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

So, not even a 'no signal' or any blurb and shuts right down? Sorry, but I have to ask, are the data/power plugs all the way in?

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Correct - screen just suddenly goes blank (black)... then I have to power it down, but when I power it right back-up, it works fine - for some hours...and thanks, yes, I've triple-checked the power & data cords.

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ya know what though...now that you've mentioned it, the data is fed through an "older" style (?) CRT-type cable...I didn't have an HDMI cable when I hooked this up, but now I have a couple of them...I wonder if that (changing-over to an HDMI cable) would make a difference??

7. Puppywunder58

Is this on-board? Should be OK though.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks, yes, currently installed in my PC - if that's what you mean by; "on-board". Thanks again

9. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Try this:
    newegg.com - LCD Monitors

Type 1080p in the "search within" box.

I have gotten a couple of things from them.
    Returned a graphics card once within the 30 day limit - no problem.
    Just follow their instructions for the RMA and stuff.

10. Puppywunder58

On-board means that graphics unit is a built-in, integral part of the MB.

The other is a stand-alone video card that plugs into a slot on the MB.

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hmmm, good question...it is whatever it was when I purchased the PC new, from Dell. I've opened it up, to add RAM, but don't recall noticing if any stand-alone cards were plugged into slots, or not - which brings me to another question: I read somewhere that this PC wouldn't do much better (for whatever reason?) with 4GB of RAM than it would with 3 gig, so I only added up to a total of 3 gig. Do you know of any reason why this would be, please, or might I get increased performance by adding another 1 gig stick? Thanks in advance...

12. Puppywunder58

If you have the model# or the Service# then you can go to Dell dot com and look it up. Or shoot me the #s and I can look it up for you.

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well, it's an Inspiron 531 - I'd really have to dig for the Service Tag #...

14. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Should be on the side or back. Man, is this the same machine you are talking about in the other thread?

15. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

In Software, earlier today? Yes ... ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds