monitor says no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by auldcodger, Oct 18, 2009.

1. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

woke up the morning switched on the computer and all it says on the monitor is no video so i put the monitoer on my friends computer and it works what can i test to find out the problem i checked all the wire and connections it is a dell desk computer

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Can you switch out your video card?

3. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

how do i switch out the video card

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You take out the old card and slap in a borrowed card to rule that in or out. Also, you need to know what type of card it is, for eg. AGP/PCI-E etc. Dell should have a manual about your motherboard online.

5. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

when you meen card are you talking motherboard or graphics card if so how do i borrow one

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Before we go any further, we need to get more information from you:

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. What is the make and model of the screen?
    3. What colour are the plugs on the end of the cable that connects the computer to the screen? They should be either blue or white.
    4. Are there one or two plugs of either a blue or a white colour where you plug the screen cable into the computer?

7. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

it is a dell optiplex gx280 the cable is blue and the electric one is black with a socket on the other end the screen is a plasma dell supplied with the machine only one socket on the back of the computer and that is blue

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Thank you for the response. Is your computer the slimline version or a normal sized version?

Slimline version: http://vintage.nsula.edu/help/images/gx_sd_front_314x314.jpg

Normal version: http://web.uvic.ca/~impit/tech/images/gx280.jpg

9. natedigity

natedigity Private E-2

did you recently have anyone work on your computer?

did you?

it could be that your bios is set to onboard graphics. there can be a lot of things. if you can use another monitor right click my computer and click "manage". then click "device manager" and then "display adapters". then tell us what it says.

10. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

its the first onr http/vintage

11. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

the idea is good but the video card is built into the dell mother board but there is a brown slot and a place to put a new one if i new which one to get the dell is a funny shaped machine so it will have to be a special shape

12. auldcodger

auldcodger Private E-2

i have decided its time to visit the pc repair man it is all above me now thanks every one for trying to save me some money

13. mohsin

mohsin Private E-2

Now check your CPU. Connect it with your friends monitor and see if the same error comes or not. What i feel is that your monitor is fine there might be some problem with your video card and CPU. Go to consumerelectronicsdir.com and try to find out about your problem if not then go to hardwaredir.com. Hope anyone of them works for you. Why don't you take your computer to a near by computer shop ? Is there any kind of important data which you are afraid that you will loose ?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds