Monitor Shuts off, pc locks up??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JasonHex, Oct 9, 2010.

1. JasonHex

JasonHex Private E-2

I recently updated by pc with a new motherboad and Raedon 4300/4500 Series Graphics card. I also had to go out and buy a new fan because my old one didnt fit the new mobo type. While installing the fan my brother accidentally broke one of the blades off. Aside from an annoying sound it runs fine and I dont think my system overheats as all my temperatures appear as normal. I do plan on getting a new fan however but that's getting off topic.

With my new system my brother also gave me his old PSU. Recently I've been experiening and issue where the screen will freeze and the monitor goes black but the light blinks such as when you turn the pc off but leave the monitor on. The weird thing is if I click the caps lock button on the keyboard it responds fine and I can still hear if I was listening to music or something. The PC i still on and running.

However the screen will not display rather I turn the monitor off then on. Then I will have to reset. After reset it wil get to the desktop screen and then after a moment it freezes, locks up and restarts. When it restarts it doesnt even make it to the windows is starting screen and I have to reset again. Well finally it makes it to the desk top, it will run for a few minutes and then it locks up again!! And i have to restart.

After I restart then it seems to make it fine. But here's where things get weird. Some reason it will reset my desktop settings back to 16bits from where I had it at 32bits??

I first notice this start to happen when I'd plug in a usb device such as a gamepad device. When I removed it, it stopped happening. So my pc seemed to work fine for 3 days, no USB device plugged in(I should mention it happened when I plugged the device in both the front usb ports and the mobo usb ports). Then suddenly it just happened again, no usb devices plugged in except my mouse which I have had plugged in since getting the new mobo. Also when I used a USB thumbdrive it didnt shut the system down.

Upon reading other stuff I read how USB devices might be sucking the power from my PSU or using to much of the PSU. So when I looked at the PSU my bro gave me and my old one. I saw that my old one was actually higher in stats than the one he gave me. So I took out the one he gave me and put my old one in. So far nothing has happened and the only USB device i have plugged in is my mouse. However sometimes I will hear the sound such as when you plug in or remove a usb device and my mouse will freeze then move freeze then move. Now it's been fine.

My Monitor is going bad I already know that as it sometimes has a yellowish green or blue tint when i turn it on in the morning.It also has fuzzy lines on the left side but after a while they clear up.

My question is what could be causing the monitor shut to shut off, pc lock ups, restarts and desktop resets? Could it just be the PSU or Monitor. Looking at stats it says my HD temp if fine, My GC is running properly. So I have no idea what else it could be. Any help would do and thanks.

Processor:
    Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Speed : 2.8GHz
    Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)

Main Board
    Mainboard : ConRoe1333-D667
    BIOS : AMI P1.80 12/10/2007
    Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
    Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
    Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
    Total Memory : 1GB DIMM DDR2

Chipset
    Model : ASRock 82945G Processor to I/O Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 199MHz (796MHz)
    Total Memory : 1GB DIMM DDR2
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 265MHz (530MHz)

Peripherals
    LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASRock 82801GB/GR (ICH7) LPC Interface Controller
    LPC Legacy Controller 1 : Winbond W83627EHF/EF/EHG/EG
    Audio Device : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) High Definition Audio
    Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor 888 High Definition Audio
    Audio Device : Giga-Byte RV730XT Audio device [Radeon HD 4670]
    Serial Port(s) : 1
    Parallel Port(s) : 1
    Disk Controller : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    Disk Controller : ASRock 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7) Serial ATA Storage Controller
    USB Controller 1 : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller 2 : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller 3 : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller 4 : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller 5 : ASRock 82801G (ICH7) USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds