Monitor shuts off while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocketman2005, Dec 2, 2011.

1. rocketman2005

rocketman2005 Private E-2

I do not know where else to turn for help with this issue as I have googled this and asked friends for help with no luck. I have a custom made computer that I got in February and after about 2 months my monitor started shutting off playing games, the first was COD4, the computer itself is on but the monitor will cycle between analog and digital signals like its trying to acquire it but cannot then it goes black with a blinking light, like its in standby or something. Also I notice my graphics card fan seems to go back down to low speed when this occurs (I turn it up to 90%-100% when I game). But its always that way til the computer boots fully in the morning so IDK if that matters or not.

The only action I can take is to do a hard reset, I have to turn off my surge protector and get it back up that way. Since then it has happened in many other games, BF2, BF3, Sims 3, MW3, Crysis 2, BFBC2 to name a few. It is beyond frustrating as I get no warning at all.

I have run Furmark, Memtest, Prime95 and had no errors, crashes or anything, I have two fans inside my box and put fresh thermal paste on the CPU. I even replaced the graphics card a Radeon 6850 as my first one had a fan issue and it still occurs, could it be another bad card, the Motherboard? I don't know but if anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks in advance.

My Specs are Phenom II X4 970 Processor 3.5 GHz
    SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    4 GB RAM
    CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler
    500 Watt PSU

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try another monitor. The monitor can be going bad.

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Just asking the obvious, the computer isn't going into power saving mode is it? I had a USB controller that didn't apparently register as "activity" so the computer would turn off the monitor after 5 minutes of not pressing any buttons or accidentally moving the mouse. Changing the power saver options under power options (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options) fixed it.

4. rocketman2005

rocketman2005 Private E-2

I was thinking of trying that as well because sometimes this problem does not occur for a month at a time. However it does not happen outside of a game. Could it still be the monitor then?

Also I have checked Power Saving mode...no dice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds