Monitor trouble?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shanrene123, Jan 26, 2006.

1. shanrene123

shanrene123 Private First Class

We set up a Windows 98 computer for my friend that was working fine & she called me to say that she's not getting a desktop picture. She gets the boot-up words & "windows 98" but then gets a black screen when the desktop picture should come up. I was simply wondering if maybe she might need drivers for the monitor? Or could the monitor just be going out? I'm not sure the name brand & model # of the monitor, but I can get it from her if that would help us troubleshoot. I told her to hook the tower up to another monitor & try it.
    Any ideas:confused: ? Thanks!

2. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Can you boot into safe mode? (by tapping F8 or CTRL after the BIOS post)
    If so, it may be your GFX drivers, as Windows will revert to it's own generic drivers. You can see if anything else is running badly by looking at the device manager. Open Control Panel > System.
    Anything not working properly wil come up with a yellow question mark.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Boot to safe mode, and change the screen size. It'll complain about that, but when you restart, you should be able to change it back to normal size. I had problems with a mode my card couldn't support, and the screen would just go black.

4. shanrene123

shanrene123 Private First Class

:) will try. thanks! Shannon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds