Monitor working but not recognized by MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Norgates, May 11, 2010.

1. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

My comp is approx. 3 years old and worked well until sometime last year. The most recent thing that happened is that the screen stays black during boot up. For quite awhile, if you would just keep restarting the computer, it would eventually connect with the monitor and then you could see the desktop and use the computer. Whether it booted up or not was clear from how long the shut-down required. If the computer shut down immediately, it probably didn't complete boot-up, usually because of damage to the OS which then had to be fixed. If it did boot up, the comp didn't shut down immediately when you push the button.

The bios has continued to work throughout. The graphics card, monitors and cables were all tried on another computer. I switched out the PSU and that didn't make any difference.

Questions: Is it probable that it's a problem in the MB somewhere? And if so, how would I go about finding a MB that would still be compatible with my existing chip?

The board is an Infinity NF UltraII-M2 and the chip is AMD Athlon 64 2X.

2. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

I got a new MB and tried to take the chip out of the old MB, but discovered that the chip is glued to the heat sink. Is that normal?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No thats not normal, maybe that the thermal paste is thickly applied and can over time set like glue, did t come out if the motherboard stuck to the heatsink? are any of the cpu pins bent?

Will have to be very careful in getting it off can with an eye dropper or syringe use some rubbing alcohol or Glue Gone to soften up the thermal paste, also can use a hair dryer to try and soften up the paste so you can very lightly prise as slowly twisting the cpu to release it from the heatsink, wish you well with this as it needs care, but also await a few other ideas as someone may have a better solution .

4. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

Just to get back to you.
    I took the chip + heatsink to the store and they said this getting stuck like that happens. They took a pointed object (screwdriver maybe?) and pried it apart. The paste was dry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds