most durable/ strongest external enclosure??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AxleXavier, Feb 14, 2012.

1. AxleXavier

AxleXavier Private E-2

i have a 1 TB seagate expansion, its a 3.5" i accidentally kicked one of the wires and snapped the usb port off so now im looking to buy a new enclosure, one that can take a beating.

im looking for the most durable enclosure i can find, that will also keep it relatively cool. esata/usb 3.0 would be nice but not needed.

i know ssd is the most durable option but im not looking to buy a new drive and even if i was gettin a TB is way outside my price range, and i need the space.

at this point im considering fashioning one from wood, stuffing it with chunks of rubber, installing a fan and taking the chip/plug interface from the cheapest enclosure i can find.:major does this sound like a bad idea? .. :-D

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

There are plenty of metal enclosures on the market, but almost all of them have the same weak point as the one that broke: the connectors. My recommendation, if possible, would be to put the drive somewhere where it can't be broken as easily.:)

3. AxleXavier

AxleXavier Private E-2

haha well i figured that much. can you recommend one thats got good shock absorbers on the inside or somthing like that? and its hard to tell by pics and poor reviews how sturdy an enclusure is. im more worried about bumps and falls as this thing will be doing a lot of traveling

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

A hard drive is a hard drive. They are all rather fragile regardless of the enclosure. There is nothing wrong with traveling with a hard drive as long as it's packaged properly for the journey. Simply placing it between your clothes in your suitcase would probably be adequate or design an aluminum suitcase with foam on the inside fit to the drive. When the drive is in use, place it where it is not likely to get damaged as collinsl said.

5. AxleXavier

AxleXavier Private E-2

alright, i know all this stuff. i know my title says im a newb cuz i dont post here often but im not. if no one has any actual product suggestions, ill go with the idea of building one.

i was just wondering if anyone knows any models that come with a good amount of padding inside.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Rather than working from the enclosure angle, get an ssd external drive and you won't have to worry about drops and bumps when you carry it with you.

That isn't practical because it would trap the heat. Portable external drives don't have fans like my big non-portable enclosures have to dissipate the heat.

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

8. AxleXavier

AxleXavier Private E-2

that depends on how u imagine this padding. for instance, if i were to make the wood case itd be suspended in the aluminum inner casing (that comes with the seagate i have) by screws that already secure the drive in its place and then have rubber chunks spaced out and glued in place, and an 80mm fan to circulate air.

in fact i could make it so all the ports are slightly more recessed into the wood casing to avoid the situation i ran into last time. the more i ponder it the more practical it seems.

also as i first mentioned. ssd drive is too expensive for the capacity i need.

and thank you caliban! unfortunately my budget is also too small for that. if i had it, id def get it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds