Most powerfull processor available today?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenArrows, May 9, 2005.

1. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Hi i was thinking about building a pc over the next month or so and was wondering what is the most powerfull processor available today. Price is not a concern i just want to know what is the best and most powerfull.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I believe (I would have to double check) but you have 2 choices, the Athlon FX 4800 or Intels dual processor. Anandtech is usually a good source for this sort of info:

http://www.anandtech.com/

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

From what i've heard...the Athlon 64 FX 55 (If i've labeled it correctly...LOL) is supposed to be the top in the AMD world anyway!!

Roger

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Was gonna say wait for dual cores but seems the x2's are out![​IMG]

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

duel fx 55's on one chip,one gives off 108w of heat,x2, 216w in a 35x35mm chip,Does anyone know what you are supposed to cool it with?

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I'm in a hurry right now, or I would research it for you, but...If you go to the AMD website, and do a little searching...they will have the recommended cooling options for the different kinds of chips they manufacture!!

Roger

7. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

What are you going to build this pc for? Gaming?

The reason why I ask, is because I've read somewhere that AMD is admitting that the new x2's will be about 20% slower in gaming than a single core chip. That is because the clock speed is lower in the high end X2 than it is on the FX 55 and because games do not make efficient use of a duel core processor.

8. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

ya gaming would be the main need for the high end cpu

9. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

10. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Actually, I might just go back on my previous post. Just ran into these benchmarks... looks like that dual core 4800 is a good match for the fx 55 in gaming. But it is going to cost you! Linky

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds