Motherboard AGP Slot Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hiatus, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Hiatus

Hiatus Private E-2

Hi all, im using a emachines T3306 (lol) and as you might have guessed, i cant run many games on it which is depressing. I took an old AGP card from an old comp and inserted it in the AGP slot on the emachine. I turned the machine back on and i got a black screen right after the initial emachine logo appeared on the screen...i dont know whats wrong and i really want some better graphics.

Heres some info i got.

Using everest home edition

Motherboard ID: K8M800-8237-6A7L1F09C-00
    i have S3 UniChrome Pro integrated graphics

AGP card i want to install: 4x AGP nVidia TNT2 M64

Thanks for the help guys.

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Did you disable on-board graphics in BIOS before installing the new card?

3. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

It's possible your motherboard may not auto-switch to use the video card when one is installed. Can you get into the BIOS settings (not sure which may work for you- try DEL key, F2, ESC ) as it boots up. Also if you have any manuals that came with the computer, see if an actual jumper may need to be changed on the motherboard as well.

Sam

4. Hiatus

Hiatus Private E-2

Yeah i can get into the BIOS but what exactly should i do to disable the integrated graphics? (steps?)

5. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

OK, I've had a look at your mobo manual. Not very well written ;-)

It looks as if you have find Advanced Chipset features and then change the Init Display.
    Init Display First
    With systems that have multiple video car
    primary display uses a PCI Slot or an AGP
    The Choices: PCI Slot (default), AGP.

Change it to AGP

Hope that helps. I'll do a little more research.

6. Hiatus

Hiatus Private E-2

Do i do this after the AGP is in the slot? Or before?

7. Hiatus

Hiatus Private E-2

I just thought of this, but could it be a power supply problem?

8. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

"Do i do this after the AGP is in the slot? Or before?"

Before

...it may or may not be a PSU problem but let's use Ockam's Razor initially and attempt to deal with the VGA.

9. Hiatus

Hiatus Private E-2

Its still not working...

1. turn off system
    2. turn on
    3. in bios, go to adv graphics settings
    4. select AGP as the initial graphics
    5. save and shut down + install AGP card
    6. turn on system

Same thing as before. I get the welcome screen and then the black screen.

10. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Interesting, I'll do a bit more research

11. MarkyTee

MarkyTee Private E-2

Hello! Just a few simple, but possibly overlooked things, I wanted to ask. Did you/can you verify that the video card is in working condition? Do you have a computer (or the original computer it was pulled from?) to test it in? The card you are using is an older piece of hardware and there is always the possibility it was mishandled in transit (ESD) or is just 'wore out'. Also is there an option in your BIOS to change the AGP slot transfer rate? I see that your mobo supports 4x/8x AGP and the card is 4x. One last thing, what operating system are you using? You say that the boot screen comes up and then goes black? You may need to install drivers before installing the card. Your OS may not support or not recognaize the card, or (like a lot of older hardware) might require a driver suite to be in place before installing it. Just some thoughts. Let us know how it goes. :)
    Mark

(edit-also check and turn down the AGP Aperture/Buffer setting in the BIOS, this is the amount of onboard memory dedicated to your built in gpu and might be conflicting with the dedicated card)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds