Motherboard and video card - voltage compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chookers, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi all,

Well, I've hunted around and will keep doing so but I thought someone may be able to give me a definite answer quicker than I can find one.

We have here a Winfast A6600GT video card and a GA-8GEM667K motherboard. We are trying to find out if the two are compatible.

I have found information in the motherboard manual that I downloaded that seems to suggest that the voltage supplied is 1.5V and never anything else and it says nothing about 8x cards that I can find.

The video card is supposed to be an 8x that is 4x compatible. (If anything I say is wrong, please put it down to overload of information while trying to figure this out and getting confused! :confused ) Now, 8x run at 0.8V and 4x at 1.5V but I can't find any info that tells me for sure if this card can run at 1.5V. I did find a post on a forum somewhere where the person said that their card dropped the 1.5V by an onboard regulator of some kind but I don't know if this one can. I also found info that says that if the 8x is put in a 4x slot, it won't run properly or we could get damage. I also saw info that said nothing will get damaged even if it runs properly! :confused

Now given that the motherboard and chip are a replacement for ones that don't seem to be working, I'd hate to see the video card get fried as well from putting it in a motherboard it shouldn't go in. I'm finding info that seems to conflict on whether it's safe to put the 8x card in or whether it might get a bit fried and nothing that combines this card and mobo and comments.

Help!

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

3. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

In the end, it turned out the old motherboard was fine and the CPU was shot so we used the video card back in the same motherboard. But thanks shanemail, that info was very useful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds