Motherboard battery replacement problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theJackRabbit, Feb 7, 2010.

1. theJackRabbit

theJackRabbit Private E-2

after i replaced my battery on the motherboard my sound stopped working. while trying to figure it out with the DELL support i realized that my DVD and CD drives were working by not being recognized by 'My Computer'. The tech reccomended that i reload the system software. Since my CD drive wasn't registering i burned the CD to a thumb drive. when i started to load the software it started to load Microsoft Windows XP Professional although the CD said and my current OS is Windows XP Media Center. I'm not sure what happened and now when i boot up the PC i have to choose the OS to use. One problem is that the XP Professional never finished installing and i don't know how to get rid of it.

Then to make matters worse my McAfee virus scan/malware software started disabling by itself. today i ran CCleaner, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, ComboFix and Mgtools. They all found something but i still have my original problem with the sound not working and the DVD and CD drives not showing in 'My Computer'. I'm not sure what i shold do next and would like some help.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Let's see...Media Center is basically XP Professional with the Media Center added on. So yes, during installation Windows will say it is installing XP Pro that is normal.

As far as how to fix the software problems it is a bit more involved. The Dell tech recommended a fresh install is that something you were willing to do? Go back to factory out-of-the-box condition?

Did the tech recommend using the USB drive to install Windows? (I'm thinking just because Windows/My Computer doesn't see the CD/DVD drives doesn't mean that BIOS doesn't see them and they should be able to be used to re-install from the CD.) Had you tried to use the CD to reinstall Windows before going the USB method?

I think on Dells F12 is boot order. If you restart your PC and immediately at the Dell screen hit F12 what does it show as your boot order? Should be CD before Hard Drive.

3. theJackRabbit

theJackRabbit Private E-2

Sorry it took me a bit to get back. I originally tried to use the install CD on boot up but it didn't work. I changed the boot order to look for a USB and that is how i started the reinstall. During the reistall it asked about partitioning the hard drive and i wasn't sure where the originall partition was, so i accepted the defalt of creating a new one. Now during the boot up process i have to select which OS system to use. If i selct the XP Professional then it wants to continue the install process. I can still select the Media Center option but the sound still does not work.

Is there a way to get rid of the partial install of XP Pro and fix the Media Center OS? I have several different software packages that i would rather not have to reistall.

As far as the virus and antispyware stuff i think that is clean, but not sure. I still have my original issue from replacing the battery.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds