Motherboard chipsets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JAMESpARNELL, Aug 19, 2004.

1. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

I currently have a Dell. About two weeks ago my fan killed itself... After learning that Dell computers need Dell parts (not completely), I decided that I want to have a more compatible system and want to understand my system fully. So I'm going to build a computer. But, first, I need to do a little information gathering...

The motherboard is what I'm looking around for, right now. Here is my question:

What is a chipset limiting you to on a motherboard? The type of RAM? Type of processor? These are just guesses, I really have no idea.

Thanks.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

the Chipset on the motherboard is responsible for allowing the rest of the components to communicate with eachother.

A chipset will limit you to a line of processors, some older ones had RAM speed limitations, and limited other features as well.

Whats your price range to build your own? Also, are you looking more toward Intel or AMD? (or are you open to suggestions?)

let us know what you have $$ wise and what you plan to do, and we'll let you know all you want.

3. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

Money isn't too much of an issure, I can probably get whatever it costs in a week or two. I've been considering a dual CPU, intel based, motherboard.

On dual CPU motherboards, do the CPUs have to be the same?

4. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

I'm, also, going to be getting a mini-itx mobo and build a computer out of an old NES I have laying around.

5. 3.14 = Pie

3.14 = Pie Private E-2

Dual CPU is mostly used for servers, you dont need it.

You need a good chipset like kt600 , nForce2.
    DDR 400 ram
    +2ghz cpu

and make sure you can build one before you buy alot of expensive things like p4's and hd's

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

if you are not concerned about price, Athlon64 is currently the way to go.

Dual CPU's arent very necessary, but if you must have them, look into a Tyan board for good video support as well. For dual CPU's, look into AMD Opterons, they're quite a bit quicker than Intel's.

Personally, I'd go for an Athlon64 3500+ or 3800+ (socket 939), 1GB DDR2 pc5300 RAM, and a GeForce 6800Ultra all on an Abit KV8 or an Asus K8V (VIA K8T800 chipset) or a Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP or MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 Ultra chipset)

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

excuse my typo.. i mean DDR533 pc4200 RAM

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds