Motherboard isn't doing AGP8x...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spartan, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Spartan

Spartan Guest

According to CPU-z, my computer isn't running AGP8x, despite having an 8x AGP graphics card, and a syntax s648 mobo, which is supposed to be agp8x-able. I downloaded new drivers...but they are in the form of a .bin. How do i install them? and will that activate my agp?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

.bin means a binary file, and usually is how BIOS or firmware updates are supplied, not drivers. Is it for your video card or your mobo?

3. Spartan

Spartan Guest

It's for my mobo

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

There should have been some instructions where you downloaded it from-- it sounds like a BIOS revision update for your mobo. If so, there should have been something to the effect of creating a boot floppy with the .bin file on it such that using the disk to boot up would cause the. bin file to be written to the board's BIOS.

5. Spartan

Spartan Guest

Problem is, I don't have a floppy drive :(

Oh, and if there's any way to get it to do 8x without flashing bios, that'd be good.

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Did you download the Winflash utility from their website that lets you update the BIOS from your hard drive in Windows?

7. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

As long as you're running at AGP 4x, I wouldn't worry about it. The bandwidth at AGP 4x is truely fast enough for any system with an AGP bus. You would see no performance increase going to AGP 8x.

8. Spartan

Spartan Guest

Actually, it says it's running at 1X, so I don't know, would 4x be an improvement?

9. Spartan

Spartan Guest

I actually did update the BIOS, and it didn't change it, still says 1x, with max of 1x AGP. Also says I have AGP version 3.0, if that helps.

10. Spartan

Spartan Guest

Any ideas? is there some place to turn on/off agp?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds