Motherboard not recognizing SATA HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CLarKEY, Feb 24, 2005.

1. CLarKEY

CLarKEY Private Epilepic Seizure Inducer

this is kinda a hardware question kinda software, kinda driver im not exactly sure, but from some reason my bios is not recognizing my sata hard drive so everytime when i start to install windows it returns back to installing from the cd, the setup recognizes the hard drive but i dont think my bios is, i have tried about all my options soo maybe someone here knows, i have a
    GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
    and a maxtor 120gig sata hard drive
    amd xp64 3200+
    if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Have you installed the 3rd party sata controller drivers that came with your mobo on floppy before win.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Good Question!
    Next Question do you have the correct sata drivers on floppy?

Also in Bios is SATA enabled (Advanced Bios Features /Intergrated Peripherals)
    What is your boot order set too?

Do you have a manual??
    If not Here:
    http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_k8nf-9_e.pdf

4. CLarKEY

the the boot sequence is normal and when it kept booting to cd i changed it to floppy, haqrd drive, cd, but that didnt help it isnt recognizing it in the bios then i went to maxtor and downloaded their driver for it but it isnt recognizing it either, i even tried using a different sata cable, and both forms of the power cable the sata power cable and the 4 pin regular power cable. so now im trying to get the driver from my motherboard CD so we will see if that is the problem

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Most mobos are different how they see sata, I have an Gigabyte KT600 the bios never see's an sata.

The boot order should be CD 1st, sata 2nd, floppy third.
    MY gig mobo does not have sata as boot option it uses scsi for sata.
    I'm not sure about what option youll have it might be Hard Disk for the sata??

Make sure you dont use both power cables at the same on that maxtor, Ive heard it will fry the drive if you do!
    It make No differance on which power cable you use, Just only one of em!

You can use Utility from maxtor, if you bought Retail you should have it "MaxBlast 3" can format/partition/diagnos, run it, it will see the drive.
    MaxBlast can also be downloaded from Maxtor free.

If you sure ya got the correct sata drivers & the boot order set correctly, and still have problems, then ya might try to reload bios defaults, or even reset Cmos then try again

6. CLarKEY

i dont know exactly what happened but everything is working now so thanx for your guyes help, i think it was because i disabled all the raid features

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds