Motherboard options, help and understanding.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boydy, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Boydy

Boydy Private E-2

Whats the differences between motherboards?
    Is there a difference or is it just what the motherboard is compatable with other components like processors, RAM etc

This is my actual motherboard that im currently selling(getting no intrest though) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200929300275?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

the reason for sale is i think its old.
    Would i be able to turn that into a gaming system ?

whats the main differences between this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-P8Z7...aptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item3f25a8d776
    and mine? and could you explain aswell.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're right — it is an older motherboard. Much has changed since it was made.

According to the Specification list for your motherboard, there's no way it could be used in a modern gaming system. It lacks the CPU, GPU and RAM capabilities/capacities.

But, don't give up on trying to sell it. You never know if that 1 person in 7 billion is looking for the exact board you're offering because they can't afford a new computer or a brand new motherboard.

If there's an absolute minimum price you want for the motherboard, try changing from auction format to buy it now format with that minimum price you want. You may generate more interest. It's the only way I can buy things from ebay because I can't afford to get into a bidding war.

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

"Modern" gaming system is the operative word. Depends on what games you want to play on it. I still have my Socket 478 P4 3.0GHZ HT on a P4P800 board with two gigs of RAM and a HD3850 video card that can play a lot of more modern games . . . the last one I think I used it for was the Star Trek online game when it first came out. It did well and at reasonably high settings. It was my first "super" computer that I started building in 2004. Still chugging along fine.

That being said, mdonah is right . . . if you want a more responsive modern gaming platform you would be better off going with a newer board that uses DDR2 or 3 RAM and has at least one PCI-E slot for a video card. One of the things to look for in a new board is future upgrades. You may not be able to buy the best processor the board supports right now, but you might be able to next year. Ditto for the video card, RAM amount, etc.

Your old board will sell if the price is right. Search for the same or like board on ebay and see what they are normally going for, and price yours accordingly. I also agree with mdonah that it is handy to place a "buy it now" price on things you sell on ebay. A lot of people aren't into the whole bidding thing.

There are many differences between your old board and the new one you listed. The most obvious are the fact it supports more powerful processors, DDR3 RAM (which, oddly, is cheaper then the original DDR), and has multiple PCI-E slots for video cards. The board supports both SLI (Nvidia) and CrossFireX (AMD) so you can have multiple video cards installed in your system . . . something I have never done but am given to understand can be a real boost to gaming. There are many other advanced technologies built into that board that would keep it upgradable for some years to come. I don't know what your budget is, but there are other, less expensive boards with like capabilities you may want to consider . . . you have to consider the cost of other components like a processor, RAM, harddrives, video card/s, etc. when putting together a new system. Half the fun IMO is doing the research and pulling all the components together :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds