Motherboard - Processor Compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PredAlien1186, Aug 25, 2004.

1. PredAlien1186

PredAlien1186 Private E-2

I have an Intel D850GB motherboard with 400MHz FSB and I was wondering if a Pentium 4 3.06GHz processor would be compatible. The Processor also is 400MHz FSB. I just don't know if it will work because the Intel site said the highest compatible was 2.0Ghz but the motherboard was discontinued and so is support for it and i'm not sure if this max compatability is just out of date. Please help me. If you need more info just ask. P.S. There is a P4 1.3Ghz Processor in the computer now.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

If that is what is says about the cpu then that's what it says. Manufactors keep all info about their products up to date.......most of them anyway.

You could possibly look around for a cheap baord that will take the cpu you want.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The max CPU ghz in a socket 423 is 2.0ghz AFAIK.

as your D850GB is a RDRAM board you have only a few options find another RDRAM mobo.. Gigabyte have a 8IHXP which is a socket 478 which their are 3.06ghz cpus to fit it.. but your RDRAM is most likely only 800mhz which will be ok in that board as I haev run the similar.

or get a newer non RDRAM Mobo to handle a 3.06ghz CPU and get DDR memory as you will have more scope to upgrade in the future.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds