Motherboard Switching

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raziel, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Raziel

Raziel Private E-2

My current motherboard is dead, so I am looking to buy a new one. I have contacted my PC vendor and any replacement would need to following:

Socket 478
    AGP Graphics Connector for processor

Computer has the following specs:

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz processor
    380W PSU
    120 Gb HD
    ATI Radeon 9600 Gfx Card
    Soundblaster 2 Sound card
    Two DVD drives
    Floppy Drive

I have looked at this one:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119412/rb/25808502102

Does it satisfy all of the requirements that my computer needs so that I could just do a straight swap of the board? My knowledge of motherboard compatibility isn't great, so does anyone here know if this will work?

Any input appreciated.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

as long as it will fit in your case it will work

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes the board would seem to answer your requirements. You should make sure you get a back plate with any board in case the sockets are not in quite the same place. You should also get a driver cd with the board.

Some thoughts.
    The board has on board graphics and sound. The sound is arguably better than your existing. The graphics is to a lower spec. Also using the onboard graphics uses some of the system memory, the ATI has its own. However the board has only 2 memory slots and you don't mention how much you currently have. I presume you intend to reuse existing. This could make future upgrading tight - if they are small modules you would have to abandon them.
    The price is reasonable and I have found ebuyer to be a reasonable supplier.

There have been several posts lately about building/upgrading and cleaning processors/heatsinks for palcing in new boards. you may wish to review some of these.
    Post again if you need further building advice.

Studio T

4. Raziel

Raziel Private E-2

768MB of RAM in there, two sticks. Anything else apart from that?

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Ok for XP, not enuf for Vista.

Studio T

6. Raziel

Raziel Private E-2

Hehe, I wouldn't even think about running Vista on this thing, its 5 years old as it is :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds